Classic Doctor Who On Britbox

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by JD, Nov 29, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We just signed up for Britbox in my house and one of the big things on there for is all or at least a lot of Classic Doctor Who, and I was probably going to start watching it pretty soon.
    Back during the 50th Anniversary celebration I picked up a handful of classic DW novels, so I wanted to start with stories with the Doctors and companions in the books. I have watched a few of the stories before, but it was ages ago, and I don't really remember them very well. If there are any stories that connect to the books story wise I'm gonna want to watch them too.
    Last of the Gadrene - Third Doctor and Jo
    Festival of Death - Fourth Doctor and Romana (Lalla Ward version)
    Sands of Time - Fifth Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan. Judging by the cover this appears to be a sequel to Pyramids of Mars, which I own on DVD.

2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

We signed up for Britbox also. I was pleased to find the Classic Who shows because I hadn't seen the ones prior to Tom Baker.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've still never seen any Sixth Doctor stories and only one each for the Seventh, Second and First.

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Oh man, you're in for some good ones with First, Second and Seventh. Colin's episodes aren't the best, but he's amazing.

(I actually found on a recent rewatch that I didn't dislike Time Dliemma all that much. It's not good, but it's fun!)

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

For the First Doctor I would recommend The Aztecs and the very first episode, An Unearthly Child, but feel free to skip the rest of that particular serial, as it's not very good. there is a funny bit at the beginning of the second episode where the Doctor wonders why the TARDIS still looks like a Police box. He's bright. He'll figure it out soon enough.;)

For the Second Doctor I would recommend Tomb of the Cybermen (the Borg owe a lot to this serial) or Enemy of the World, for the Third Doctor either Day of the Daleks or Terror of the Autons, for the Fourth Doctor if you already own Pyramids of Mars then go with City of Death. For the Fifth Doctor, I would recommend Earthshock. I really haven't seen enough of the 6th or 7th Doctors to make recommendations.

Does Britbox include animated recreations? If so, I would recommend The Tenth Planet and Power of the Daleks (Hartnell's last arc and Troughton's first).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I saw one as a Second Doctor season, but I'm not sure which.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If you describe it, I bet we'll be able to figure it out, even it's vague. We are nerds after all. ;)

8. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Rewatched Remembrance of the Daleks last night and still my fave Sylv story (Battlefield is second). Where Two was "comical, but with a flash of steel", Seven is "comical, but with a flash of serial killer". The morally dark side of the Doctor that RTD and Moff tried to play up started with Six and Seven - One got his "rock to the head" moment early on, but other than that there was never a doubt that the Doctor was on OUR side.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I checked the list and it's Power of the Daleks. So is that where they took the original audio and then recreated the visuals in animation?

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yup. Before that, there were fan reconstructions using existing telesnaps to tell the full story. That's how I first watched it.