Classic Dire Straits song Money for Nothing banned in Canada

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 23skidoo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Some years ago I interviewed the creator of the Cerebus the Aardvark comic book, Dave Sim. He pointed out something that has stuck with me - that while Canada likes to think we're the same as (and often better than) the United States in many areas, we do not actually have the equivalent of the First Amendment up here.

I was reminded of this when the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (think FCC) announced this week that the 25-year-old Dire Straits classic "Money for Nothing", which contains a popular derogatory statement for a gay person, but uses it in an ironic manner, can no longer be played in Canadian media in its original form. All because some politically correct person with too much time on her hands in Newfoundland made a complaint about a song that has aired on radio and TV internationally for decades.

Here's a news story on the decision. If you're really so sensitive that words bug you, you best not read this because it contains nasty collections of letters that when collected together create certain words:

http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainment/music/2011/01/13/16877771.html

The Sun is a generally conservative newspaper, which doesn't line up too much with my leanings, but I'm all for the editorial they ran blasting the decision:

http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainment/music/2011/01/13/16876721.html

This decision, coming only a few days after the announcement that censored versions of Mark Twain's novels will be published in the US, and after a number of high-profile cases of public people being crucified for using certain words, makes me wonder if people aren't becoming a bit over-sensitive. Somewhere, George Orwell is going "I told you so".

Alex

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's not banned. It's censored. You have to air a "clean" version instead. For what it's worth, I haven't heard the uncensored version of Money for Nothing play on the radio in the US my entire life. They usually cut the entire verse, which is annoying.

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I've heard the uncensored version on the radio dozens of times, but maybe that's because I live in Virginia? I don't know.

I'm not surprised. And I'm also not surprised that some PC thugs wouldn't get the whole point of that song.

4. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, it's disappointing, but not surprising. I haven't heard it play since I've been in Virginia, so it might be different. Philadelphia radio stations routinely excise the entire second verse, though.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it super annoying here when they censor like "cocaine" or "joint" out of a song. Some of it is self-censorship but you certainly can't broadcast whatever here because of first amendment laws, certainly when it comes to obscenity anyway.

What's weird is a lot of songs that used to play uncensored have been increasingly played in cleaner versions. Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner", Pink Floyd's "Money", "Mama Kin", Alice in Chains "Rooster" and so on.

Then again, we clean all that stuff up on many of the TV channels as well but that is more acceptable I guess than Huck Finn. I'd have more respect if they would outright not play the material than cutting it up.

6. Alidar Jarok

Really? I'd prefer to erase a word than to deny access entirely. You can hear it, decide you like it, and then go find the original that way.

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh.

Also, I don't really see what the big deal is here; this sort of thing happens all the time in broadcast media. To use a more recent example, when was the last time you heard an uncensored version of Ce-Lo Green's "Fuck You" on the radio?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I haven't. My god, 1984 came true after all!

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The Pogues' classic Fairytale of New York has the line 'You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot' (in the context of a marital argument) and this has sometimes been bleeped out for radiotype. One (awful) cover version changed the line to 'you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard'! The mind boggles.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Knopfler hasn't sung the song that way in 20 years either.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell, I remember listening to a favourite song of mine on an internet radio station and the word 'erection' is bleeped out. It's used for description purposes and isn't meant to be sexual in any way. It's actually describing a piece of artwork.

The song's 'And If Venice is Sinking' by Spirit of the West, and it describes a statue found in Venice.

We made love upon a bed
    That sagged down to the floor
    In a room that had a postcard on the door
    Of Marini's Little Man
    With an erection on a horse
    It always leaves me laughing

12. Alidar Jarok

I'm fine with it being bleeped out. I hate when they replace the word, though. The only exception I can tolerate is when it makes the song practically unplayable on the radio. Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You" would be useless without the hook. It's not as good with "Forget you", but at least it still works musically.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i hate the censored version of Gold Digga. it ruins the flow of the song to take out the 'nigga'. okay, i'm a whitey and i don't particularly like the word, but hell, it's two black guys singing the song, so they're obviously okay with it.

i never knew Money for Nothing had 'fag' in it. i've obviously always been listening to 'clean' versions...

14. Switch

Switch Captain

FCC - Obscene, Indecent and Profane Broadcasts

Clearly you were too free to notice such things.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, no! How much Room 101 torture do you think it took to break him? :(

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i thought it would be for the video. that cgi is painful to look at nowadays.

17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

What's funny is they will play "Cocaine" all day long, but cut out drug references in other songs.

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I heard the unexpurgated version of the song plenty of times on the radio back in the '80s. When did they start altering or deleting that "unacceptable" word?
    He wants people to keep buying tickets to his concerts. He knows it's better to play it safe and knuckle under to PC pressure -- all in the name of being "sensitive" to his fans, of course.
    It wasn't called CGI back then -- just computer animation. Of course the video looks extremely crude today, but that makes it all the more fascinating to see just how far the technology has come in only 25 years.

Actually, the people who should find "Money for Nothing" offensive are furniture movers and appliance installers. The song paints them as ignorant louts who think rock musicians make tons of money for doing hardly any work.

19. Switch

Switch Captain

We call it CGI now.

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Of course. But it bugs me the same way as someone talking about the Enterprise in Trek TOS sending down an "away team."

It's a LANDING PARTY, dammit! :mad: