Chronology

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Shikarnov, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Hi all,

My wife is just getting into reading Trek novels... And although she has my 20+ year collection to choose from, she's finding publication order to be somewhat confusing.

Is there chronological list somewhere that details lists the books, at least in order by general period, that any of you know about? She'd like to read 22nd Century before 23rd Century, and so on...

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Z

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You want this: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyages-Imagination-Companion/dp/1416503498/

Or, for the interconnected books since 2000 or so that are in the flowchart in my signature, read:

1) Enterprise
    2) Vanguard
    3) novels about The Excelsior
    4) "other DS9 connections"
    5) Everything else in the two right-most columns in order by arrows except DTI
    6) The first four Voyager relaunch books
    7) Everything else on the whole chart in order by arrows

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im working on a big site that will do precisely what the OP is looking for. Alas it isnt ready for publication yet. Memory beta is your freind until then. I could answer more specific questions also, but to begin with the Enterprise novels should keep her busy for a while.

4. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Thanks for the input. It's most appreciated. And, Thrawn, that is some chart you're working on. I'd love to know what software are you using to manage all that detail.

Z

5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Could you maybe put up a simple page that lists the books in chronological order since Voyages of the Imagination was published?

6. Thrawn

It's a website, actually, Lucid Chart. Pretty easy to use, though sadly not free. I made that chart during my free trial period, but next time I need to update it (probably when new 24th century stuff starts getting announced) I'll have to pay.

7. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Realize this should be treated as vaporware and that I have no ETA whatsoever to offer (nor even a firm promise it'll actually see the light of day), but one of my goals with the TrekBBS-independent TrekLit voting site I'm working on now and then is to have enough information about the books in its database to be able to generate that chart automatically. Right now what I've got working to that end is a reasonably solid SQL schema for the books and some code that can generate a Graphviz DOT file of their relationships from the DB, which I then run through a server-side DOT renderer. For the real version I want the frontend to be nicer and more interactive than a static image, however. I still have to investigate some nice client-side DOT renderers or roll my own to that end.

8. Thrawn

That would kick ass. There's all kinds of crap - New Frontier and SCE if nothing else - that I just didn't have space for. It'd be great if you could navigate that thing dynamically.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

One of the SNW finalists, Carolyn Winifred, had a web page that attempted to extend the "Voyages of Imagination" chronology for a few more years of novel publication, but I think she ran out of steam, IIRC:
    https://sites.google.com/site/stvotitimeline/

Ah, it does have stuff such as the first five "Titan" novels, "VOY: Full Circle", IDW's "Countdown" and the post-"Destiny" trilogy novels, "Losing the Peace" and "A Singular Destiny".

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am an old(er) career soldier. I hope this comes with a manual (pictures would be nice, too).:biggrin:

11. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Would it not then be possible for someone to take this site and keep it updated (obviously on a different server) until ryan's site is up and running?

12. ryan123450

I wish I had something to show for all my teases, but between my Lost website (which is almost complete), work, wife, kids, constantly babysitting my new nephew, being exhausted each day after working in 110+ temps, and remodeling my house, my project has taken a back seat for about a year.

But in the next several weeks I will complete my Lost site, quit babysitting, and hopefully this heat wave will deminish. Then I can focus more on completing my Trek site.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't worry, using the site will not require any technical knowledge, I just like babbling on about under the hood stuff.

Plus there is no point in hiding how the sausage is made, because just like with the simple ranking table, I intend for the site to be open source, and for dumps of any database backing it to be available for download. I'm sick and tired of useful fan resources disappearing when their creators do. If I get hit by a bus, or if I move on from TrekLit because the only books still selling are a spin-off from Rascals in which everybody is 10 and a series of romance novels set on Ferenginar (presumably written with unimpeachable dedication to accuracy by Christopher), I want to make sure that everything someone else would need to move the site to another host is available.

14. ryan123450

I think that's a very cool idea Sho.