Chris and Chris

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lance, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I being dumb here or does it seem like the obvious answer to the stalemate is just recast George Kirk?

I can understand how Paramount would want a movie with Chris Hemsworth headlining it. When he was cast as George, it was before the Thor and Avengers movies really took off and his star started to fly. Having a name like that on the poster would be a major drawcard.

But, as far as I can see, Paramount doesn't want to spend the $'s because they got burnt by Beyond's box office return. Unfortunately for them, at this stage in his career Hemsworth doesn't come cheap. And the regular cast are all entitled to increasing salaries too.

So, either they bite the bullet and admit they need to recast -- as much as they would prefer not to -- in order to get another movie out there sooner. Or else they pay megabucks for a movie on the bet that Hemsworth's name will be enough to draw the punters through the door.

It feels like this Tarantino movie has given them a third safe option which is let both movies simmer and see which one happens, but the risk of that is that both of them end up being in development hell, as there is no single focus at Paramount pushing for another movie anymore, it could be a decade before the movie franchise sees another instalment.

Thoughts?

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

this is just me but hit the jettison pod on Thor/bring in Shatner (i.e the original Orci & the 2 writers ST3 outline that has been adapted for ST4)...ok i know lol shatner! too old etc etc but it almost happened twice before (ST3 generating significant buzz due to his involvement before Beyond), and itd be sweet to get the Orci ST3 we were supposed to for the 50th (the Thor rewrite is intriguing but rather have the original Shatner outline back) and shatner is probably alot less $ than Thor maybe (idk but think remember reading maybe on bbs somewhere that Hemsworth and Pine want 10m each due to what was agreed before STB underperformed and Paramount wants them to do it for like half that in line with Pines previous STB fee. whereas Shatner would probably do it for 5m). Also Stewarts just come back which was previously unthinkable, so it just makes all kinds of sense for Shatner to finally return.. what would obviously be for the final final time in Trek. (thus equalling Nimoys 8 big screen appearances and 3 'final' goodbyes)
    also hire Chris McQuarrie who is currently lobbying to direct Trek. fast track to target summer 2020 (GodzillavKong, Top Gun 2, WW84, untitled MCU/DC) or Nov 2020 (just keep it away from Avatar 2 Dec18). then head straight into Tarantino Trek for 2 years later.

Alternatively just hang fire until Tarantino and make that ST4

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Lance likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the easiest solution is pay the actors what you already agreed to.

Paramount probably don't want another risky proposition Bad Robot Trek, this was their excuse to kill it and they'll try Trekking again in 2020 with different filmmakers.

4. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bah. I had hoped it was all posturing. Same old story: Actors wanting more money, studios wanting to lower the budget by not giving actors what they want....

I wish they could all just work things out but I've resigned myself to the fact that the Pine-Hemsworth project is dead. So the next move is to fast-track plan B, whatever that might be so fans aren't waiting another 2 or 3 years for the next big Trek production.

5. JKM

JKM Commander Red Shirt

No, not really. What actually happened is that when making Beyond, Paramount wanted to pay the cast the same amount they paid them for the 2009/ID movie set. Unfortunately for them the contract was up for the actors as it had been over 7 years by that point and all the cast had become bigger stars. So as far as Pine and Quinto were concerned, they agreed to pay them more if they signed on for the 4th film at an agreed upon rate. I am assuming they signed Hemsworth around the same time. Now they are reneging on that and trying to force them to accept less than the previous agreement. That is not the actors wanting more money, it is as KDB said above, they just need to pay the actors what was already agreed upon by all parties. Especially Pine!

6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I understand it, having Hemsworth was part of attracting outside financing. Hemworth having perceived box office draw. Getting someone of Hemsworth's caliber for less money than they wanted to pay Hemsworth would likely be difficult.
    As much as some fans would like to deny it, Beyond underperformed money wise. Paying what was promised prior to Beyond's release isn't a option.

7. F. King Daniel

Key word: Promised. If they made a promise, and don't stick to it, the result is entirely thier fault.

saddestmoon and Ovation like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless the contract was contingent upon Beyond's performance then Paramount is still obligated to pay what was negotiated for the next film.

saddestmoon, JKM and F. King Daniel like this.
  9. Tenacity

Unless they agree to renegotiate, they won't be hired for the project. Neither Pine nor Hemsworth seem to be desperate for work, and to both Trek is just another job.

Taking a job at below their current standard price would hurt their professional "brand." Yes a high payed actor will take less for certain projects (art films, social commentary, but not a pew-pew sci-fi movie.

Khan 2.0 and Smellmet like this.
  10. fireproof78

They are well within their rights to walk away when Paramount is not following through on an agreed upon contract.

saddestmoon and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. Tenacity

and paramount is under no obligation to hire them for a follow on movie if it isn't expected to generate enough revenue to justify their price.

it's not that beyond didn't have moderate box office, just not enough to pay chris and chris what they're asking for.

12. fireproof78

If Paramount thought that was problematic they shouldn't have offered Pine that money in his contract for number 4 in the first place before Beyond was released.

This is Paramount's mess, pure and simple.

13. F. King Daniel

In that case, they never should have announced Star Trek 4, appointed a director, scouted locations and whatnot if they were just gonna assume the Chris' would agree to less money than they'd already signed on for.

The current trend in Hollywood is to announce a ton of future franchise films, presumably so they look attractive to investors. Look at how WB's DC movie slate looked around the time of Justice League and how it looks now. Paramount's 2 Trek movies have been shown to be the same thing.

Lance, saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  14. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely Paramount's mess, and if blame were to be laid, at their feet it should be placed.

Lance likes this.