Children of Time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain59, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Greetings!

Are the 8,000 who ceased to exist ever referred to again, either in a later episode or in a book?

Thanks.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 8,000 were never mentioned again in the series (Not sure about the books) but wasn't Odo's relationship with Kira from this episode mentioned later on?

3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Not directly. I think Kira makes some vague mention to Jadzia about that. maybe in Resurrection but I am not absolutely sure.

4. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

But the colony MUST have existed since the Defiant crew remember them (and presumably all scans and recorded data during the visit survived). Must be one of those "an alternate timeline was created" things...

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Not in the Ds9 Universe. Remember that old molly disappeared (presumably into oblivion) when her younger self walked through the "time portal" and then young Molly remembered the old one pretty well. ST physics is a fickle thing, it submits to the laws of plot convenience.

kkt likes this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

No doubt there was some kind of "temporal wake" like in Star Trek: First Contact.
    It seems like the question of "why do we remember so and so when they were erased from the timeline" was brought up somewhere else in Trek, but I can't remember the details now.

Kor

7. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Yeah, older Odo did away with the planet's population for Kira, then forgot about her and almost let her get killed a few episodes later when the female changeling seduced him. But love prevailed in the end. :whistle:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Do you mean it could have been in an alternate timeline?;)

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Kinda like Kes who begs Janeway to kill Tuvix so that she can have her Neelix back only to dump him like an old pair of socks a few episodes later.:D

Ar-Pharazon and DonIago like this.
  10. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Pol in E². Archer says something like "Or maybe since we never went back in time, our descendants never existed" and she answers "Then why do we remember them?"
    Then Archer says "Lighten up, T'Pol. It's just a TV show"

Ar-Pharazon, Discofan and Captain59 like this.
  11. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The creating a new timeline theory implies that a new universe is created each time, out of nothing I guess, which seems a bit weird. I mean where do that extra matter, energy, and space come from? The there's only one real timeline at a time theory seems less... enigmatic... at least there's no need to create new matter, you just rearrange the old matter a different way. Now could you have a memory of an event that no longer exists? Well, maybe, It's sort of like seeing a star that has in between turned nova. The star no longer exists but you're still seeing it as if it were there. In the case of the timeline, the timeline no longer exists but it has existed at some point. It would be like time having two dimensions, one dimension that we experience every day and the other being the time of the successive timelines.

Say you built a new kind of probe, a timeline resistant probe so to speak. It would be inside the universe but somehow shielded against timeline changes. The probe could record elements of the different timelines while being unaffected by the change. In the end, it would contain films of the different timelines that no longer exist. Of course, the people who built the probe could also be extinct as well which would be ironic.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Prax

A new or alternate timeline is created, then it is destroyed, in both episodes. The timeline is not an alternate one until after it is destroyed.

13. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"alternate" is a relative term. If you consider two different timelines, they're both alternates of the other one. It's like the mirror universe of the different series, IE TOS, DS9, ENT... etc. Our universe is in fact the mirror universe of our mirror universe.

14. Kor

I think that TNG "Parallels" showed that infinite universes exist in the Trek *ahem* universe. As for new timelines appearing and disappearing, perhaps they somehow always exist and never actually go away on some plain of existence.

It's space opera. It doesn't have to make perfect sense. :shrug:

Kor

15. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

True and it's a good thing too because it doesn't. ;)

kkt and Kor like this.
  16. Kor

In all this discussion of alternate timelines, I didn't really notice the original question. :alienblush:
    Memory Beta says the following:
    Source: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Children_of_Time

Kor

17. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Ha ha. Thank you!

And in reading this very interesting conversation, to me it seems like they do still exist somewhere else. (I don't dare name what that kind of the place is.) I had never considered that. Cool.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Usually the way Trek time travel works is anything done by the time traveler in the past still happened even though the traveler himself vanishes.

Future Alexander probably vanished around when Alexander joined the military.

19. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Except for "Parallels" TNG, where every little variation of every event exists somewhere. So, at least, in that episode, not only would the Children of Time exist but an infinity of versions of them would.

20. Prax

But if there was a parallel universe where the children of time existed, the Defiant crew would have lived and died in that planet, in that universe.