News Chieffo: From Soldier To Chancellor

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 27, 2018.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Mary Chieffo‘s character, the fierce L’Rell, ended the first season of Discovery by becoming the head of the Klingon High Council. In...

Continue reading...

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Preparation for this role meant studying females in history who have had power and/or have reigned. “I’m literally looking to Medea, Antigone, Queen Elizabeth in Shakespeare‘s Richard III, Queen Elizabeth the historical figure, Hatshepsut the Egyptian pharaoh,” said Chieffo. “So many of these women whose stories have almost been told, but not quite.”'

Ok, great. But you know what all those powerful women had in common? That's right, they had fabulous hair! Hatshepsut even had a beard. You see where I'm going with this?

Tim Thomason likes this.
  3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Apparently L'Rell is a rapist based on what I read in another article. She can die now for all I care. I have no investment in such a vile creature.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

You can tell by the commitment to researching her role and the resulting intensity of her performance, that Chieffo takes her role very seriously. Enigmatic and complicated, L'Rell was one of my favorite season 1 characters,

Going to be interesting to see how she fits into season 2.

5. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really looking forward to her story line and where this Klingon stuff goes this season. IIRC Ash went with her as well, which will be weird. Can't wait.

6. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I Like Mary Chieffo, and I like L'Rell ... the dignity on her eyes.
    Good casting on her... a beautiful woman, a beautiful character.
    I hope still seing her on board.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  7. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Didn't it turn out that Ash's rape memories were actually hidden (I assume consensual) Voq memories? They never came out and said it but those last couple episodes were so rushed. That was my take-away anyway.

Terok Nor likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right, so from his point of view, he's a human from Seattle and has memories of torture and sexual assault. Then it turns out he's actually a Klingon who consented to the surgery and was the boyfriend of L'Rell. They didn't really say if the sexual memories are Voq's being re-interpreted by Ash, or if Ash was actually raped. From his point of view, he was raped. Was it rape at the time the memory was made?

10. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think the flashbacks we saw were from Voq but he was raped off-screen between those flashbacks and his first apperance.

11. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if she raped him or not, but I don't expect the Klingon Spymaster-turned-Chancellor holding her planet hostage to be the most noble of characters on the show.

She's evil and she should stay evil. Maybe a necessary evil. Tyler needs to get out of that situation ASAP.

I'm assuming Section 31 and Georgiou (ugh...) are his ticket to the main plot again.

Jinn likes this.
  12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just had a thought: the person we see on screen resulted from pieces of Voq and Tyler thrown together in a near-Frankenstein-style mishmash with a life of his own...that's who Latif is portraying right now. And he has his own POV, separate from those of Voq and Tyler.

XCV330 and Longinus like this.
  13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

time to see TyVoq realize he needs to plot a new course for his life, grow out the mustache and forked goatee, forge some paperwork and become Kor, only to have his own son killed years later by The Albino.

:D

14. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Tyler is a mess of a character. Good actor and decent character up until the Voq "twist" but this is all too convoluted for me to care about. Perhaps kill TyVoq off and resurrect the real Tyler instead of boring Culber.

15. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    I could barely stand him until "Into The Forest I Go" but I've found him fascinating since.

:shrug: