Chekov in TAS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Tino, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Hi guys.

On startrek.com, I just saw a drawn picture of Pavel Chekov in the style of "The Animated Series".
    He's also listed in the cast-section and seems to have appeared in "More Tribbles, More Troubles".

True?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I can't see they put him in the www.StarTrek.com cast section.

The animators seem to have slipped a Chekov cameo into one bridge shot. IIRC, this sequence (in "Beyond the Farthest Star") may have been the first panning shot ever created for TAS, like a piece of pilot footage, before they were certain they would be using Arex as regular alien navigator. There's definitely an animated male human, in red shirt and who resembles Chekov, sitting in Arex's navigation seat.

"More Tribbles..." has a different cameo: a redshirted engineering crewman who closely resembles the episode's writer, David Gerrold (below). When novelist Alan Dean Foster saw Gerrold's cheeky script note that a certain unnamed crewman resembles the screenwriter, ADF gave the crewman the name of Hacker - as in "hack writer" - when adapting the ep for "ST Logs".
    [​IMG]

Curt Danhauser's TAS site has newly-created fan art of many ST characters (Pike, Number One, Rand, Chekov, etc), done in TAS style:
    http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Timeline.html

Kail Tescar's site has newly drawn adventures, including other ST regulars:
    http://startrekanimated.com/tas_comic_main.html

The chase signature cards of the recent TAS trading card set included many TOS characters rendered in the Filmation style, including Edith Keeler, Number One and Thelev the Orion spy who posed as an Andorian.

3. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I included Chekov in the comic "The Patient Parasites" , doing a stint in security, as a forshadowing to his role in TMP.

edit: Wow, they really have built up their TAS section over at startrek.com, nice!

4. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I believe that Gerrold said on the TAS DVD that one of the characters in "More Tribbles, More Troubles" was drawn in his likeness.

The one time that someone resembling Chekov at the navigation station instead of Arex was a couple of quick shots in "Beyond the Farthest Star" but this person was wearing a red uniform instead of Chekov's usual gold one. All the rest of the shots in BFS had Arex at the navigation console with Sulu.

5. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Here's my TAS Chekov [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Therin of Andor

Even better: it's Chekov on his last day on bridge duty before heading to Security. (And thanks! I was sure it wasn't MTMT with the redshirt Chekov cameo, but was too tired to get out the DVDs last night.)

Is this it? Anyone got a better freeze frame than this (as it appears on Curt Danhauser's site)?

[​IMG]

7. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

That freeze frame is of Scotty, not Chekov. Chekov's 'cameo' happens much earlier in the episode.

8. Niemz

Niemz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I miised the cameo, will have to watch again!

9. Therin of Andor

Yeah, I figured it was too easy - Spock was in the wrong place for the scene I remembered. And navigation's on the other side... Drat.

10. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Whoops. I meant character-section then. Here's a picture of it.

[​IMG]

11. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I don't understand why they would put a picture of Chekov in there. That makes no sense.

12. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

They should've used Kail's Chekov. I think it's a much better likeness.

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. On the DVD extra special features it mentions that Chekov was the only member from TOS, not to be included in TAS. Also, They mention that he did write one episode for TAS. :) :thumbsup:

14. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Thanks! :thumbsup:

15. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because that isn't Chekov. That's McCoy in a brown wig and wearing one of Kirk's shirts. I hope this clears up any confusion.

16. Therin of Andor

Chekov refuses to be drawn into the debate. ;)

17. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Boooo! Very punny! :guffaw:

18. Therin of Andor

Yep, thanks; first you set up the joke... and then you cel it.

19. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

I'm not so sure. The eyebrows, the chin and the wrinkles around the mouth look different.
    Maybe the editors of startrek.com added him for completion
    and have forgotten to say so.

As a funny note, all the characters appear to look younger besides Chekov. ;-)