Characters who should've stayed longer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WarpTenLizard, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Which character should've stayed a bit longer?

1. Kes

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Seska

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Lon Suder

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  4. Michael Jonas

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Joe Carrey

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. One or more of the Borg kids

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Maj Culla

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Hogan

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Stadi

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Someone else

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Althought she was never my personal favorite, I think Kes could've had some great interactions with Seven, at least for a while. It'd be great if they'd shared Season 4. Seven becoming more human and Kes less so (well, less Ocampan?), they could meet in the middle and become friends, and then Seven would have to deal with seeing her first friend evolve into an energy cloud and part ways.

Lon Suder's another one. He could've done for Seven what that bland rubber forehead douche in "Repentance" did, but Suder would've done it while actually being interesting and a good actor. Suder could also really bring out the dark side in Kes, with both of them being telepaths with limited powers they want to explore. (They're also both into gardening.)

As for Seska, I'm sure there are a few things that could have happened with her had she survived "The Basics." She could continue as a recurring villain, just jumping from one alien species to another while trying to get Voyager. Or she could end up in their brig after "Basics," and gradually wind up integrating into the crew.

I didn't mind seeing the Borg twins leave the ship, as they were dull as dirt; but I was sad to see Mezoti go. I liked the idea of Naomi having a Borg friend.

Everyone loves Stadi, though I'm not sure what she could've added to the show that other characters wouldn't already have taken care of (B'Elanna has the sass, Tuvok and Kes the telepathy, Tom the piloting, etc.)

Other ideas?

CheeseCat likes this.
  2. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

Went for Suder. Fantastic character made even better by a compelling story and a terrific portrayal.

An off the cuff suggestion - The Doctors family, I'd really like to have seen how that story continued after real life ended.

3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I went for Kes and Suder as well. I really think Kes was becoming so powerful it would've been rather cool to see more of that. I agree that Kes and Seven might have made a really curious couple. One had her childhood cut short and the other this strange combination of supposed years (in human terms) but limited experience. One empathetic and the other clinical, but both, observant. I think it was a kind of limited thinking that Seven needed to replace Kes. That one blonde replace another. That there was only room for one outsider. It's even limited thinking to not develop a kind of a friendship between the two.

Suder actually had so much pathos in that last appearance so it would've been a trade off. Lose the impact of that performance for more longevity of the character.

Just a note on the Borg kids. I have to admit being a little like Picard here. Sometimes kids on shows become annoying prima dona scenery chewers. Voyager's kids were likeabe.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They do? I'm glad she was designed as a DOA character, I wouldn't want Deanna 2.0 hanging around.

Suder would definitely have been a source of good storytelling, but if the writers thought they'd already used up his potential, it's maybe for the best that they killed him off.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suder would have been awesome, but I guess the writers thought the only way to atone for his crime (which they portray as mental illness rather than "evil") is self-sacrifice. Which sucks.

6. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I know that only one choice is allowed but I see at least 2 people who could stayed longer, at least the time to give them a gracious and/or worthy departure : Kes, the Ocampa (even if an early death was alas programmed in her genes) and Seska (the Cardassian traitor, who has a great potential to have a bigger role in relation with Janeway, Chakotay and B'Elena : the most interesting viliain of the show, IMHO).
    But I see too, one character, who could stayed permanently : the little Mezoti. And as seeing as all searches to contact her parents or at least, some relatives failed, she could been adopted officially by Janeway, who would have benefited from Seven's support/knowledge about Borg's mind as well on Voyager that on Earth... , even if we already know that our Captain already knew a lot about Borgs.

(And before some of you remind me the situation, I answer that I'm perfectly aware that in one of C/7's fanfictions, the litte Mezoti is fostered then adopted by the couple but well, Chakotay may already be quickly exceeded by 1 Borg, as charming and sexy she is, but 2, he risks to go off the rails! ;-)

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Kes: Should've stayed a main character with Kim kicked off the show as originally planned.

Seska: Only if she'd stayed on the ship, a great source of tension and conflict, ultimately saving the ship and crew somehow (to save her own neck) and has to start working with the Starfleet and Maquis crew in order to survive.

Joe Carey: Should've lived to get home. Kill off Chakotay or Kim instead.

Hogan: Simply because he was gorgeous!

Stadi: A sassy, feisty Betazoid (a nice departure from Troi) who would be a good foil to Paris, a far more interesting bestie for him to have.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The pole should be wired so you can pick as many options as you want.

9. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Lon Suder gets my vote, but I also voted "someone else" with Kashyk in mind. He would have made an excellent recurring adversary for Janeway.

10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What would have happened with Kim in-universe had Wang been kicked off the show?

Killed off? As 'ensign green' and the one most eager to return home, that would have been kind of dissatisfying.
    Kim deciding to stay behind in the DQ? Not really credible.
    Chance encounter with a magical wormhole/vortex/experimental drive/aliens/ that transport him, and him alone, back to the AQ? Not really credible either (though of course we've seen just that happening in some eps :) ).
    Kim ascending to semi-godhood? Now, such an ending would be ridiculous for any character, but even more so for Kim :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed for a return of Krashyk for an arc but we know all, that it would have ended tragically, by him betraying Janeway again then afterwards, by his death, so... :shrug:
    -> for me, staying a bit longer means, at least, a half season not, like Maj Culla or Seska, 4 to 5 episodes [SIZE=4]scattered [/SIZE]and then goes!

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

He would've been slowly eaten away from the inside out by the 8472 infection.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^There may have been some potential there for Kim becoming a human/8472 hybrid that could have become a recurring pro or antagonist (or both).

Or not.

14. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Had to go with Lon Suder. Lots of possibilities there.

I'm glad they finally did Seska in. Recurring villains are great but it's most satisfying for me when they finally get their comeuppance. Never cared for Kes and was glad when she was gone

cosmic mouse likes this.
  15. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Joe Carey: should have gotten the chance to see his family again.
    Seska: she was evil, but I was sorry when she died. I even liked the litverse mirror Seska.
    Lon Suder: a permanent challenge for Tuvok.
    Stadi: what a shame to kill her off. Unfortunately she had to pass over flight control to Paris. But I think Janeway would have found another job for her.

16. cosmic mouse

Maybe not... you never know. Characters (well some of them) do evolve and change over time. I think it's possible he could have met a tragic end or perhaps become some sort of interest for Janeway (esp. since, imho, she appeared to have zero interest in Chak it would have saved him valuable time).
    As it was, for that one ep, he had tremendous chemistry with J.

17. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kes. So much potential for this new kind of character but the writers and producers couldn't get their heads out of TNG butts. As the series geared more and more to TNG type of bland stories there was little interest in a woman like Kes. Producers needed to get more fanboys to watch so they created a Data like Barbie doll to replace her. Not sure if the ratings were better when the Blonde-Data came aboard, but I sure was envious of her boobs.

Seska. Another missed opportunity by making her a Cardassian stereotype, instead of making her a redeemable character. It's strange how these producers and writers treat Cardassians; they first give these characters several facets -- like Gul Dukat in the 1st through 4th season a Great Character & Aamin Marritza-- and then devolve them into one dimensional villain of the week duds.

Voyager had loads of missed opportunities and not making Carey, or another Starfleet officer rogue to get back home, lost a potential internal conflict within the crew on board throughout the flatline series.

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

19. cosmic mouse

That's exactly the expression he'd have too... :lol:

20. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

Suder.

Thomas Eugene and Kilana2 like this.