Character Ratings: Counsellor Deanna Troi

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, May 10, 2007.

1. Gold Grizzly

Gold Grizzly Vice Admiral Admiral

2. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

7/10

The writers really didn't know what to do with this character when they started out, but it took some time for some decent character development. It's when Troi found her playful side that she blossomed. Compare the 'I'm sensing the obvious' of season 1, to the chocolate loving sensualist, or Durango from A Fistful Of Datas. It took a good four or five seasons but she went from being my most loathed character to my most appreciated, as she was the representation of Starfleet taking things easy.

When Troi woke up as a Romulan, that was the point where the character began to matter.

Seven of Five and Qonundrum like this.
  3. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I dunno. There are aspects to her character that I really like. I like her when she's being playful and I think she can be sexy. There are times when she is really useful and you can see that she could have been quite a key character. But there are a whole load of "I feel pain" moments that detract from her a great deal. She's a 6 if I'm feeling ambivilent (which I am) and 7 if I'm feeling generous (which I'm not). So 6 it is, then.

NigellaDeanna20 likes this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

6 - I agree with WillsBabe's summary almost completely.

5. WillsBabe

^Ahem - almost ? Whatcha disagreein' with, Doc? :)

ThankQ likes this.
  6. Gold Grizzly

Gold Grizzly Vice Admiral Admiral

I give her a 7. She was weak in the early seasons, but they seemed to get a better idea of her role as it went on. I actually think that she acted her quite well eventually.

7. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What he said.

8. ladyheather69

ladyheather69 Captain Captain

I liked Troi. She was sort of hard to bear in the beginning with all the "I feel your pain" things, but the writers were trying to figure out her character.

She developed into a good character and even had some episodes in later seasons that showed her acting abilities.

I gave her a 7

9. Computer

Computer Captain Captain

I give her an 8. 2 points extra because i had a serious crush on her 15 years ago.

The first few seasons were incredibly painful to watch her in. She looked like an emotional wreck or like she had been crying 5 seconds prior to the director yelling "Action"

But she really grew on me in later seasons.

10. chapfan91

chapfan91 Commander Red Shirt

7. Hated her in the first seasons but really became fond of her once her character developed more.
    ~Erica

11. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

I gave her a 9 because of the character development over the course of the series and her hotness! :drool:

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shhhh... I have to maintain the illusion of independent thought somehow! :)

13. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

She only gets a 5 from me. While she did get a lot better in the final seasons of TNG, that will never really negate my memories of the early seasons (hair, wardrobe and dialog). I wasn't real impressed with her in the movies either (especially her driving).

14. WillsBabe

I'm a girl. :(

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe that is being generous, but she was the weakest, and most unnecessary character in the entire show. People talk about Denise Crosby being a bad actress, but I think Sirtis is worse. Did she improve later on? Sure, they all kinda have to if you're doing a show for 7 years. Despite that though, there are some great things about her (I wish she was a Romulan because that was her best performance in the entire series) but overall, the show wouldn't have been any different without her.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

She was terrible early on in the show's run, but as it developed, she became an integral part of the crew. When she takes the command test and is forced to send LaForge to his death the character really came into her own. Getting her into a real uniform helped, too.

17. Chang

Chang Admiral Admiral

7 - She was awful early on, but was much better in later seasons.

18. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I agree with a lot of you in that she was awful early, but became much much better as the seasons rolled on.

19. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoops. My bad. What she said. :D

20. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A solid 9!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: