Challenger: 26 years and the memory's still strong

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Neroon, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I know that we "don't wear the black armband forever", but it's still a good thing to pause and remember.

Attached Files:

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Has it really been 26 years.

3. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was the first "I remember what I was doing when..." moment of my life.

They keep saying there was/is supposed to be a movie made based around Dick Feynman's involvement in the accident investigation. I hope that doesn't get lost in the pile. Of course, who the hell do you get to play Richard Feynman? You got to nail that in casting or the whole thing tanks.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we heading into the week of disaster for the Space Program? Man it's a sad time.

I can't believe it's been 26 years since the Challenger tragedy. I think the best thing I can say about it is I always think about the dedication preceding Star Trek IV. I think that says it all.

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm honored to be a faculty mentor with my school's McNair Scholars program--just a small way that I can help to honor the legacy of one of the Challenger Seven.

And if you're ever in Hermosa Beach, there's a memorial to Greg Jarvis on the boardwalk.

They may be gone, but I think the Challenger Seven are going in inspire people for a long time.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And it could all have been avoided had Morton-Thiokol recommend a no-go for launch. It's Engineers wanted to but the managers overrode it.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It actually started yesterday, with the anniversary of the Apollo 1 tragedy.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah after I wrote what I wrote this morning, I looked up the dates of all three accidents and yeah it is in a week's time but it started yesterday. Still, not a happy week at Houston/Kennedy Space Center.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

God rest the souls of all the brave men and women who've lost their lives in humanity's space exploration programs.

10. ArcherFanForever

ArcherFanForever Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nice sentiment and I agree 100 percent!

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dad was a "rocket scientist" at JPL, then TRW. He saw the footage and immediately said it was the o-rings. Of course, Feynman undoubtedly knew that, too--but he needed proof. A statement based on knowledge alone isn't enough.

12. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, it's a great story about how Feynman started down the O-Ring path. Wish I could find it. I don't want to spoil it with the details I remember, but it really is quite the story. I'll look it up when I get back if no one has posted it here yet.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was coming out of the Navy dentist when this had just happened. Talk about a kick-in-the-gut feeling.

Same thing with Columbia.