CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

67 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Yes, savory, please

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Yes, any kind

66 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

Thank the prophets that we have you to discern the hidden real meanings of posts on the internet like our very own Kai Winn! :)

2. SITZKRIEG!

You don't understand... there are people (not) posting dastardly things somewhere right now on the internet and we need to (pretend to) know what they really aren't telling us! :)

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Really?! Because I've seen it on this very board. It's a minority of posters, but... hell yeah, I've seen people complain here about turning Star Trek into a SJW show... as if it wasn't from the very beginning.

Yep. But some people are into Star Trek for the pew pew pews and the swaggering of Kirk.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep to all of this. (It's worth noting that DISCO is not alone in having been the recipient of criticism founded upon both open and cloaked bigotry. The other two pre-CBSAA series without a white male lead also got some, from self-described Star Trek fans no less.)

I think that American imperialism (especially that of the 1960s) embodies a lot of what some Trek fans consider Tru Trek to be (I hope only a minority of Trek fans, but again: what's the data?), as that represents the moral and intellectual heart of a not insignificant portion of TOS. The same can be said of cultural norms of 1960s America, as the cultural heart of much of TOS. This is all a major part of what is meant by the idea that TOS was a product of its time.

For some, nostalgia for the way things used to be cuts across both Star Trek and contemporary American culture in similar, parallel ways.

So, it is a small leap at most to take Garth, as a hero of Kirk's, as the representation of a nostalgic ideal.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well! If you've seen it online; it MUST be true!!!!

SITZKRIEG!, Sgt_G and Noname Given like this.
  6. carlosp

carlosp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I laughed at the cast "interviews," too, since they went on an on praising how great the still-unmade movie is. But, hey, they're actors. They're acting!

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That doesn't make any sense. It would be a straw man argument to say that people are claiming that those posting such rubbish sincerely believe what they are posting. Unless I'm mistaken, no one has gone that far; no one can see into the heart of another. That doesn't change the fact that these things are getting posted.

Again, no one's saying that every criticism is based on bigotry.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    BillJ likes this.
  8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Look, we're not really on a tangent here. I got us started on the discussion of what appeals to people about Axanar, and a couple of subsequent posters have proposed the idea that the appeal is that it's less diverse than modern trek and therefore attracts those anti-Discos that are inherently racist, so it's worth discussing the motivation of Disco's detractors. If it's not racism, then the idea that Axanar attracts anti-Disco racists is flawed. If it is racism, then the next discussion should be about how non-diverse Axanar is.

It's not a fun discussion, but it is relevant.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Plus it's an 8 minute promo for what's at best a 30 minute fan film (assuming anything further ever gets made).

I couldn't watch the whole promo of course. And I laughed out loud when an actress said, "and it has such depth..."; and I just couldn't go on watching at that point.

It also really cracks me up how Axanar's supporters claim it's " true Star Trek"; yet most of it shows all the "pew pew" they fault JJ Trek and the current CBS Trek for - And hell the former director Robert Meyer Burnett did two 20-minute videos on how he and Alec were salivating over all the battle footage Tobias Richter was creating; And how to tailer their live shots to match it.
    ^^^
    Yep real "depth" there.

Not to mention that the majority of the "Prelude To Axanar" effects footage reused here for the promo; Plus the other footage Alec either finally found or got from Robert Meyer Burnett looks like a cutscene from a Star Trek video game...:rommie:

Well at least they didn't reuse the John G. Hertzler VO of the "...waves against the firmament..." line over the reused ships docking at the starbase VFX footage.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  10. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

I don't know how anyone on this board could miss the "too much forced diversity!" comments re Discovery. I don't even read topics related to the show and I've been made aware of it. Kane Steel or Kpnuts anyone?
    That's the fan critique equivalent of "I have black friends."

So there are certainly fans out there who beat the "too much diversity drum", and some of those are of the "Discovery is shit and Axanar is 'true Trek'" stripe. Not all. Maybe not many. But they're there.

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'll see if I can think of something on-topic about Axanar before I finish this post. In the meantime...

I was online back around the time when DS9 premiered. I saw white people argue that the number of nonwhite cast members on DS9 would offend people who weren't white, because those people would be offended by the tokenistic, pandering casting of people who aren't white as just a sop to political correctness because it wasn't driven by any actual story needs. I saw white people argue that it was a bad idea to have a nonwhite captain because white people would no longer be able to relate to the lead character of a Star Trek series, but everyone of every sex, gender, skin colour, nationaity, and ethnicity was used to relating to a white male, so why would you ever have a captain who wasn't a white male? In other words, the straight white male American character was a blank, default figure, and any change to any of those characteristics absolutely had to be justified by the demands of the plot. Otherwise it was just so much PC SJW virtue signalling. Some of those terms didn't exist yet, but the ideas did. Demanding that a show justify why a character is anything but a white male, and never demanding it justify why a character is a white male, is preferential treatment of white males. There's a word for this kind of thinking, and the word is racist. (And yes, the sexist equivalent certainly happened with Janeway. And Burnham. And the Thirteenth Doctor, for that matter.)

I suppose we could congratulate Axanar for its progressive fight against ageism and ableism by letting Peters play Garth despite being significantly older than Steve Ihnat was, and for being acting-challenged. There, see? On topic!

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried to watch the trailer, but finally gave up about half way through. You can only take so much of people talking about how amazing this trainwreck is.
    I love how they keep talking about how "deep" Axanar is and how much they hate all of the stuff that's nothing but "pew pew" and then when we get footage, it's nothing but battle scenes. Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's okay to have nonwhites and women, as long as the main character is a white male.

nightwind1, BillJ and CorporalCaptain like this.
  15. SITZKRIEG!

That's a remarkably unenlightened thing to say and I'm disappointed to see that you believe that.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm thinking, maybe, sarcasm?

nightwind1, F. King Daniel and KennyB like this.
  17. SITZKRIEG!

Your sarcasm sensors are apparently only set to 50% power. I recommend full. :)

18. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Capture.JPG

Masiral, Noname Given, jespah and 5 others like this.
  19. SITZKRIEG!

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just use :rolleyes:. Tends to work.

I am up for a good facepalm emoji, though.