CBS Interactive Exec on ‘All Access’ Demographics; Considering Ad-Free Option for “Super-Fans”

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Feb 7, 2016.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

No ads on Netflix
    Very few on Amazon
    Adblockers causing major trouble for such an obnoxious industry

I stopped buying DVDs because of the adverts, and I'm the type of person that spent $300 on a single season of trek. Well worth them squeezing a few cents more to throw some adverts in

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Meh.

I have a hundred dollar plus a month cable bill and most channels still have ads.

If CBS All Access is a success, all of them will have ads in short order.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

As I've pointed out, it's pretty easy to lower your cost on cable bills in the USA, if you downgrade your tier slightly, eliminate channels you don't use in the tier, then your $5.99 for Trek won't add to your bill...in fact in one demo I did for a skeptical fan, I lowered their bill $30-$60.

RAMA

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Must be nice to have those options with your cable provider. That's definitely not true around here.

Jerikka Dawn, Kor and Corran Horn like this.
  6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm not one of those "I refuse to pay for another streaming service" people...but I'm very unlikely to sign up for one where I pay and have to sit through adverts. I dropped cable for that reason, and I'm loving Netflix (and one or two other local streaming services) because I'm getting what I pay for. Content without interruption.

Edit: As someone pointed out at that link, CBS are "considering" an ad-free option, and yet this image says otherwise...

http://trekcore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/cbs-trek.jpg

Does that mean ad-free on the old series' but ads on the new one?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

no.
    from yesterday
    CBS All Access Exec On Doing SVOD Service With Ads, Original Strategy – TCA

source
    so you know they will implement this before January...

8. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Adverts are already the ultimate no-no for a lot of people - many are sick to death that they have to sit through five minutes of propaganda every 12 minutes - telling them how their life would be better if they bought some product - and otherwise filling their minds with unrealistic body images/social judgement.

Now we can look forward to them on streaming services that we have already paid for - great.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Hulu has ads and they seem to be doing fine. If you don't like the ads, you can pay $12 instead of $8.

10. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I'm in the UK, so will be getting it on Netflix anyway, but a lot of what I'm hearing about CBS All Access is worrying me a little. Not only for the sake of fairness (of which I'm a big advocate), but also due to the prospective longevity of Discovery.

I really feel that it's run, and potential for continuation after the first year is not only tied to it's popularity, but also tied into the success of All Access too. It really makes me think that we'll only ever get this one run, then have to wait another twelve years for Trek to return to the small screen.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

If all access folds, Netflix has a history of picking up shows that it thinks it can sell. I daresay Discovery would fall in that category.

12. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, but this depends on whether or not CBS decide license/commission it as they are the one holding the rights. Something tells me they've only decided to go with a new Star Trek because, and only because, it is an oppotunity to sell their own streaming service.

Hope I'm wrong, but I have to be pessimistic. It's in my nature. I'm definitely more excited about this series than I was about Enterprise when that was first announced though.

13. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

It's possible. If the Netflix deal was profitable, and there were other opportunities (DVD, merch, action figures etc) it's quite possible they'd switch services.

Though I hope All Access works out.

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I don't mind paying for a streaming service, I have a subscription to all Showtime content through Amazon. I don't have cable, and refuse to get it. All my home viewing of TV and movies comes from Amazon and Netflix. Some, on Amazon, I have to pay for the seasons or the movies, which I'll gladly do because that's still cheaper than cable TV.

But paying for a streaming service AND having to watch commercials? Bullshit. That needs to get fixed.

15. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The ad-free option has arrived:
    Duh! "Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-all-access-unveils-ad-924669

But because it's a tier, I'm still not buying. The entire service should have one rate with the only options being it should be ad-free with that rate, or free with commercials.

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

If people think like you (and I hope they do), the pay-for-ad tier won't last long

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously? Go make a snack or something while they're playing.

Also a lot of DVD's you can skip the ads with the skip scene button, or the menu/home button.

18. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I'll pay for their stupid subscription at $10 a month long enough to watch the first season. After that, I don't know.

And if the premier is really bad, I'll just wait until I can get it elsewhere.

19. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

My plan is to wait, subscribe for one month and watch all the episodes then.

Now I am wondering if CBS will block old episodes to make my plan unviable...

20. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I feel for the people stuck with the All Access service as their only way to get the new show. I'm lucky I'm getting it on Netflix because I'm always finding something to watch at the moment. I can't remember the last time I watched regular TV at home.

It's a shame that it's not a Netflix exclusive all round.