News CBS All Access On Discovery Release Date

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

CBS Interactive president Marc DeBevois spoke about plans for CBS All Access, but fans waiting for Star Trek: Discovery are still in...

Continue reading...

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

....are still in the dark regarding the release date of the new series.

I'm not, as long as there's a global parallel release it allows people to watch them each week, to discuss, speculate, complain, etc.

6 months later, then yes, watch them all in one go, sure. Top Gear TOG (or whatever Clarkson called it) had a similar release pattern on amazon - despite the episodes all being ready they were released one per week. That was a good level, as 1 per week is about doable for SWMBO, had they been all released together I wouldn't have managed to get them through that frequently. Trek though can benefit from the bbs converastions

3. LK3185

LK3185 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't mind weekly if we got more than 13 episodes... which I don't think we are and also i don't mind weekly, if its not a serial storytelling......Which I think it was implied it would be.

Basically,if you're doing a normal trek season, then do weekly viewing... if not, then I really don't see the advantage of this being on CBS All Access instead of a regular CBS Channel... Unless they think they will get a surge of subscriptions to the service.

Not a surprise at no release date, we're probably at least five months away. No way they picked a date yet.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

January 2018.

5. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it had been previously implied that CBS All Access would keep individual episodes up for a limited period (a month or something), to stop people from waiting to subscribe afterwards. Not that it makes much difference to me in the UK, as I'm sure Netflix won't actually do that. However, if what I remember being true, this part wouldn't actually be possible.

Unless they've changed their minds, or I misremembered.

6. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I can tell, this was never real, though people were going around claiming it, never with any sourcing. This is one of the complaints invented by the contingent of Trek fans who became furiously unhinged that they couldn't have Discovery for free, and went about manufacturing justifications for this entitled outrage. From the perspective of what CBS is trying to do with All Access, it never would have made sense to have the episodes expire.

7. SailorLadyGaga

SailorLadyGaga Lieutenant Red Shirt

[SIZE=6]Is it possible this series won't be released till 2018?[/SIZE]

8. midnightz

midnightz Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is a non-news story IMHO; it's still a September-ish release date I would think. These things are plugged into forecasts and budgets from an early stage and to move into into next year would be a disaster for the company, not to mention how much Netflix would be annoyed...

9. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS Declines to Specify Air Date of ST Discovery just to be more accurate. The title as it stands feels more click-bait-ish.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes.

11. midnightz

Possible, but unlikely.

12. Sakonna

It wouldn't surprise me if 2018 is the strike plan... they're not going to want to start releasing these until they know they can finish the season without breaks. That hurt a lot of serialized shows in the last strike, the sudden halt of episodes mid-season.

If the writers strike doesn't happen, I think we're very likely to see Discovery this year.

Noname Given likes this.
  13. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

I think the possibility of a WGA strike is real, but on the other hand, all the scripts SHOULD have been finalized (and filmed?) by now. I can only assume there's been much disagreement over the episode stories themselves, irrespective of reported progress in casting, set-building, etc. I wonder who, if anyone, will emerge as the hero in these struggles. Or the strike will begin next week and last so long that CBS can use it as an excuse to wash its hands of the whole enterprise.

14. DS9ers

DS9ers Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't see the strike being an issue. They have been in production since the end of January. They knew that there was the possibility of a strike happening. I am sure that they prepared for it and have the last scripts finalized. I think the show will premiere in August or September.

15. Sakonna

How the strike could hit a particular show is so reliant on the specific personalities involved.

During the last writers strike (which the industry saw coming from further away than this one, so there was more prep time), I was working on a show with a showrunner who prioritized keeping the show going and had stockpiled several scripts so production could continue. When we finally ran out of material, we were one of the last shows still shooting.

Directly next door to us was another series, and they fully shut down within a day or two of the strike being called. They could have easily stockpiled and kept going as well, but their showrunner didn't want to undercut the negotiations by continuing to provide the network with content, and why should he? When it's writers wages that are at issue.

Basically my point is, anything is possible, don't assume these writers made it their priority to ensure production could continue without them. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't, but it's arguably the more rational choice for them not to have done so.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But they can be damaging their own career, if they are seen as "milking the cow". This show was announced in late-2015. Had writers working on it for a year now.

I don't see how they can't be done writing 13 episodes.

17. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Well, exactly. Surely, whatever stories eventually emerge about the whole process will be of greater interest than the eventual(?) episodes will be.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yeah, I agree with this assessment. If the WGA strike; they'll film the scripts they have, and then resume production once the WGA strike ends. In such a case they'd delay release until they knew they could finish the season and get everything released per their planned schedule.

19. midnightz

Not sure; I think they'd proceed with whatever date they have internally placed (I would guess September) and then take a few weeks hiatus if needed. Not many would cancel their subscriptions so it would mean another month's worth of subscription money...

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Agreed with this.
    es
    This is a non-news thread. I don't think it is even appropriate here to discuss a possible writers strike in this thread.