Cartoon Network

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I've always been a fan of the network and historically they've had some great shows, but in the recent years I feel like the quality of some of their series have really stepped up their game as far as storytelling, character development, world-building, and music go. My favorite CN originals right now are:

Adventure Time
    Steven Universe
    Amazing World of Gumball
    Regular Show (Recently Ended)
    Teen Titans Go! (It's very much a guilty pleasure)

Each of these series has something unique to offer. It's a bit of a spectrum. World building and character development is outstanding in Adventure Time and Steven Universe, which also include awesome unique animation and coloring styles. The stylized animation and mixed media of Gumball make it, to me, one of the best looking cartoons around. And the absurd comedy and self-awareness of Regular Show and Teen Titans Go! round off the spectrum of what I like. But, most of all, EACH of these series has awesome original music and songs that I find myself singing or whistling or (in the case of Teen Titans Go) just plain having stuck in my head.

What modern day cartoons (ostensibly targeted at children) do you, as mostly adults, still find yourself loving and following today?

Honorable mention: Clarence can also be a very cute show but I don't go out of my way to watch it.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'm a big Toonami fan myself.

I miss the old Boomeraction HB cartoons--when Space Ghost wasn't a talk show host.

3. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Ah yes, of course, toonami! Big fan of that too. Although these days I am usually in bed by the time the meat of the block starts. I do find myself trying my best to at least watch Dragon Ball Super right now, as the dub is much, much more entertaining than the original Japanese version for me. I wasn't willing to re-watch an entire cour remake of a movie I had seen years ago, after all. But the new dub is surprisingly funny, and I am actually looking forward to seeing each "new" episode.

They've also started re-airing Space Ghost, but it is the talk show version. I tried watching it along along with The Brak Show...and man, these really didn't age well in my eyes.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Nice to see Jon Stewart before he made it big on the Daily Show.