Cardassian tailor sets up shop in Korea?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Too Much Fun, May 24, 2009.

1. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

So I'm working in Korea at the moment. I've been here for a little over two months and have about two months left before I go back to Canada. During one of my commutes to work by train, I noticed a rather fascinating :vulcan: sign that I thought some of you Niners might get a kick out of:
    [​IMG]

How about that? Garak has gone from simply owning a small tailor shop to having a whole market named after him. :) That was my first thought when seeing this. Notice how all the other names on that sign are clearly unique Korean words. As if simply being English didn't make it stand out enough, the second location on the sign is seemingly named after a DS9 character! :p

If I didn't know better, I'd think some Niner bought a market here and named it after their favourite DS9 Cardassian. :cool: I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder what the hell "Garak" means in this context. Never heard of the name anywhere else except in Star Trek. There's also a huge highway/freeway-type sign that says "Garak" on it! I've passed it several times while on the highway, but because I was in a moving bus, couldn't snap a picture. :( Neat find, eh? :cardie:

2. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Nice.

3. vermillion

vermillion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great find.

4. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Very cool! :techman:

6. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We Cardassians do love a steaming hot mug of fish juice in the morning. :cardie:

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, you beat me to it! It DOES seem quite appropriate, doesn't it? :rommie:

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps it's more a case of art imitating life than life imitating art? Perhaps Piller or Berman had been to Korea too and picked up the name for their new show...?

9. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Or it's a coincidence. But a fun one for us niners.

10. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Possible, but it's most likely just a random alien-y sounding name.