Captain Kirk's Cabin (From Star Trek Generations)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by TheInnerLight85, Jun 20, 2019.

1. TheInnerLight85

TheInnerLight85 Ensign Red Shirt

N

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Markonian and Khan 2.0 like this.
  2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would have been nice to of seen it from all sides. Maybe a walk through of the interior.

Although the interior from the movie was likely a set.

3. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I read once that this was one of Shatner’s homes. I doubted it. I know that the horses in the film are his though.

4. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

No. Shatner rode horses most of his life, long before this movie came out.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Indeed, we can see in the movie that he's had years of practice. You can't fake that.

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. It was in fact, a condition of Shatner's to have a horse riding scene in the movie otherwise he wouldn't appear. When the studio learned this after Nimoy refused to do the movie, they made the horse scene mandatory.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Is the Cabin a tourist attraction, now?

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Why? We only see it briefly in the movie. Why not make everything a tourist attraction? Like the boat where Worf is promoted (which is supposed to be holographic boat).

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That ship is docked down in San Diego, I believe.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Only for the occasional winter (the movie sailing ship that lives in San Diego permanently is the one from Master & Commander). The Lady Washington is based out of Washington state, but generally goes down the west coast in fall to San Diego and then back up in the spring. I've volunteered on her when she passes by my neck of the woods.

People do, in fact, show up because it was the boat in Generations, but not a tenth as many as come to see her because she played the ship Jack Sparrow stole at the beginning of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  11. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

So it's a real boat then? I thought it could be just a movie prop, like Cameron's Titanic for example.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope no private property/trespassing laws were broken for the production of this video.

Kor

13. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Defiler-Of-Redshirts Commander Red Shirt

No wonder he was imitating a horse in "Plato's Stepchildren" when that dwarf was riding on his back....and the horrified look on McCoy's face really says it all.

Now that being said, I thought his cabin was a bit anachronistic because I saw no technological/aesthetic difference with a more-expensive-than-usual 21st century cabin. Unless Kirk wanted his cabin to have a deliberately retro look.

14. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

That's probably the case since he was splitting wood with an axe instead of using a phaser splitter.

Kor and Defiler-Of-Redshirts like this.
  15. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

True. Some people naturally have old-fashioned, Luddite habits, especially me! To this day I prefer cassette tapes and videotapes over CD's and DVD's. And you know why? Because some of this old technology is about 1000x more reliable than today's technology. I hate CD's and DVD's for their extreme, non-stop technical problems; if you even THINK about a disk wrong it malfunctions and will never play again. Whereas "tapes" can take any abuse and will play for decades on end. Every constant audio/visual malfunction I've had in entertainment technology in my life has been this disk overrated garbage, NEVER a tape player or a VCR. I submit that today's disk technology is such a pile of shit I prefer the reliability of tapes, regardless of the inferior sound/picture.

Every CD and DVD player I've ever owned is such a malfunctioning piece of shit, I've never seen humanity get so brainwashed by what is essentially junk technology. I loathe it because it malfunctions far more often than it performs.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well... it's still way better than LaserDisk from 30 years ago.

Kor

17. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I still have a VCR that I use every once in a while. It makes me feel nostalgic.

18. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Me too! For one, I still have gazillions of movies & TV shows on VCR, so buying DVD versions of all of them would cost a nearly comical amount of money. Second of all, videotapes and VCR's are so much more long-lived and reliable than this DVD junk - which constantly malfunctions if you even THINK about it wrong. I've been through DVDs and DVD players like toilet paper, yet my 25-year-old VCR and videotapes are still working as always. The nonstop malfunctioning is why I have so much hatred for CDs and DVDs and their players; they've malfunctioned for me more often than they've played. They're utter garbage but most people love this crap simply because its newer tech and most people are sheep who love things they are told to love.

Oh, and btw, I find the sound quality of CD's and the picture quality of DVD's so overrated they're simply not worth it to me.

19. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno, I've got a fair few DVDs pushing twenty years old now, they still all work fine.

Plus, that's edging towards retro tec as well, Kirk should probably have had a collection of DVDs that promised scene selection as a special feature.

penguin44 likes this.
  20. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I've had many CDs as well as DVDs with little glitches in them (annoying ticking noises) that get on my nerves after a while.