Captain Kirk At The Oscars!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kamdan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

William Shatner got back in his movie uniform for the opening segment for the Oscars.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Did Kirk eat all the tribbles????

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, saw it too... Meh. I thought he looked quite a bit out of form, tribble ingestion not withstanding. I thought McFarlane's attempt at self mockery (the what-if it all went bad) fell flat. He was doing an OK job, but it's everyone else who co-presented that really helped make it a better show. I doubt they'd ask him to do it again. At least he hasn't been as humdrum as Billy Crystal trying to capture the old magic of his earlier hosting days.

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can't be serious. The guy is 81. How do you expect him to look?

I thought mcfarlane was the best host in years. He cracked me up all night and has a great voice.

5. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I enjoyed it. It was cool to see Shatner back in costume playing Captain Kirk one more time.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol, he looked out of form. He looks absolutely fantastic. He's 81!

7. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I though he looked great. Although he's walking with a cane now, he's lost a lot of weight since his "S#!+ My Dad Says" days.

That might have been the last time we'll ever see William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk. I'm glad I didn't miss it!

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Me too. It was cool to see him as Kirk one more time. I was actually quite surprised at how authentic they tried to make everything look. They were clearly going for a TFF/TUC look and feel with the chair and bridge panel behind him with the period-correct LCARS images. The tunic actually had the correct insignia on it and looked quite authentic - with one exception - the front flap. The flap seam should be straight down the middle and it was very off-center, with the flap itself looking like it was made from a different material from the rest of the tunic. I get the impression that someone messed up his measurements and they had to do some last-minute adjustments by replacing the flap fabric. Other than that one thing, though, it was clear they tried to make it look good.

IIRC, McFarlane's a big Trek-head. He probably had some input on trying to make everything look correct. And "We saw your boobs" was definitely an interesting departure from standard Oscar fare. Me liked it... :)

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But is it canon? :)

10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not talking about his age, but his reciting of the script. Still, it was fun seeing him on it. In retrospect, I think McFarlane should have leveraged him as an anchor point for the show, but moving beyond the thermometer of Seth's failure.

The whole bit about McFarlane doing a terrible job, by virtue of Kirk's peek into the future, was kind of a funny idea, but despite McFarlane's singing talent it felt like the overall presentation was telegraphed as such--mediocre. The "boobies" bit was funny for about 10-15 seconds, but then that should have been it. Instead, we get the whole teeth grinding number. :rolleyes:

The performance of the other presenters was terrific, though. Despite Seth, I thought the show was generally entertaining.

The whole feeling I got was like McFarlane making the show more about himself than the presenters, at least obvious in the first quarter of the show. I'll go on record now saying that he won't be back anytime soon. I'm not the only one who thinks so (NYTimes comments).

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

Agree.:techman:

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

For his age, I thought that he did all right. Any way we might see Captain Kirk again?

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

To me this clip proves that he isn't too old to play the part and could come back.

15. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, good point.

16. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in the UK and saw it at trekmovie.com

18. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks Chris! That one works down here in the southern hemisphere too.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Am I the only one that thought he looked bad? His head kept bobbing up and down and sometimes it seemed like his speech was a bit slurred.

20. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would have been funny if Chris Pine presented an award later in the show, then Shatner as future Kirk could come back "on screen" and give Pine some tips on how to REALLY present an award. Lots of jokes could have been made there. That would have been good! Although I'm not sure the Oscar writers could have pulled it off.