Captain Jean-Luc Picard as Shinzon of Remus

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DeepHomage, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DeepHomage

DeepHomage Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know Star Trek: Nemesis was panned by many fans, but I've re-imagined Shinzon as a kind of mirror universe version of Jean-Luc Picard. I think deepfaking would have been very effective in the scene where Jean-Luc Picard first lays eyes upon the cloned version of himself. How else to explain his expression upon seeing the face of Shinzon?

Irishman, Michael and Atolm like this.
  2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Wow that's really cool! A little creepy as well, but still very cool.

Irishman and DeepHomage like this.
  3. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

SWEET!

Irishman and DeepHomage like this.
  4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Good idea. But holy shit, it looks fake compared to other deep fakes I have seen.
    Nevertheless, if Nemesis had come out now, they no doubt could have gone the Marvel Route with much better results and have Patrick play the part.
    I also doubt Hardy would miss this role in his cv.

edit: post amended further down thread.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The inherent problem with the Shinzon character is that they spend the entire film trying to convince the audience that this guy is a clone of Picard, and yet he looks and acts nothing like Picard. So there was no real reason why he even needed to be Picard’s clone other than for story reasons (i.e. he needed Picard’s blood to survive even though he spends the entire movie putting Picard in situations where he could very easily die).

What does this have to do with the deepfake? While the effort was a valiant one, making Shinzon look more like Picard doesn’t fix the inherent flaw of the character himself.

cardinal biggles likes this.
  6. DeepHomage

Dukhat likes this.
  7. DeepHomage

Ferritin like it 3rd in light
    I'm sorry you didn't like the video, I don't have the resources or free time to compete with Marvell Studios. Tom Hardy apparently took the negative critical reception of Star Trek nemesis very badly, but I liked his performance.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That was unneccessary and I would ask that next time you rethink the way you're wording your criticism or don't say anything at all. All artists here welcome criticism, but it should be worded in a friendly and constructive manner and with the understanding that it's just people posting their passion projects. This is not Reddit or whatever and we like to maintain a cordial, welcoming and pleasant atmosphere for all kinds of artists. Comments such as yours don't exactly further that atmosphere and I don't want to see it again.

Irishman likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

With the above said, I want to make it clear that I wasn’t putting the OP’s efforts down. There’s no way I could have done anything as good as that if I were to try it. I was just commenting about the inherent flaw of the character himself, but perhaps I shouldn’t have even brought that up since it’s not relevant to the topic.

Michael likes this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Agreed on the looks, but "nature vs nurture" for why he acts nothing like Picard is good enough for me.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies.
    My gut reaction of comparing it to other deep fakes on a professional level was out of line.

while I see room to improve , I shouldn’t negatively judge the effort.
    Especially since I cannot do at all what you did here. :)
    And let‘s be honest, even Hollywood doesn’t always manage perfect realism with this stuff (Tarkin, Leia, Luke, etc)

Keep it up . Next one will be even better.

Irishman, DeepHomage and Michael like this.
  12. DeepHomage

I've been on social long enough to develop a thick skin. I expect that some viewers won't appreciate or like what I post, but I will continue to make these videos because I've gotten far more positive reactions than negative ones from Star Trek fans.

Irishman and Michael like this.
  13. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey you are getting feedback. Most stuff never does.

DeepHomage likes this.