Captain Future remake?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Santaman, May 4, 2017.

1. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

In the 1940's Edmond Hamilton wrote a pulp series called Captain Future, in the '70's Toei Animation created an anime version of it and that one was incredibly popular in Europe, and I think even moreso in Germany which had its own version.
    Usually in the summer vacations my brother and I would watch the anime on one of the german channel (ZDF das ferienprogram IIRC)

I hope this bit of footage is really meaning that there's going to be a remake of the series..

http://www.futuremania.de/news1.html
    Captain Future fan site.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That would be nice. Captain Future is a classic character, so it would be cool to see him make a comeback-- if they do it right.

3. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I always loved the ending, with all those anachronistic bizarre images...

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. Santaman

I've grown up with the German version which has been edited to shorten it, the German sounds and music is also different.
    I really hope they'll pull this off...

5. Skipper

Why was it shortened? Was it considered too violent? I remember it was quite tame (for an anime, anyway) and his protagonist preferred using his brains, not resorting to violence (it was quite a difference with the other anime heroes...).

6. Santaman

It was to make it fit into a particular timeslot, they only had so much time to air it, a few eps they even aired without the outro IIRC because of time limitations.

Its been quite a while since I've seen it.

7. Skipper

I see. I asked because in Italy when they cut anime usually was for the sex or violence... :lol:

I just googled a little bit and I found this:
    According to Google Translate:
    Can you confirm this? I believe that it was one of the most innocuous anime ever broadcast...

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that stuff in the circles in the end credits have nothing to do with the actual show?

9. Skipper

Nope. This is why it was so bizarre! :rommie:

10. Santaman

I'm not sure what the Germans were complaining about, I saw the series halfway the 80's and it was broadcasted every year in and around the school holidays in the afternoons and now and then even other anime series like Ulysses 31 and some anime movies, later on they started to broadcast series like "The Vision Of Escaflowne" and "Lupin the third." etc on other channels late at night

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'm German but this was before my time. Only know of it from the Internet. Wasn't on screen in my childhood (born 1988, GDR).

12. Santaman

I'm not sure when they stopped with Das Ferien Programm but it was probably before the fall of the wall.
    Captain Future indeed vanished for quite a while, I think it was broadcasted again in Germany late 90's but I don't remember what channel it was.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

In the early 00's, the then-recently returning TV station Tele 5 re-aired the show in their animation block. Soon after that, the DVD sets were released to great success.

Before that, I think the German main theme was released as a single in the late 90s, becoming a big hit in discoteques.

14. Skipper

I have to say that the German intro is quite catchy...

But you know, the Italian one still holds a special place in my heart. :)

15. Skipper

I was reading the German wiki page about the anime, and even there they say (Google translated):

Captain Future was probably one of the less violent anime ever and it was
    further edited for the German broadcast. And still parents protested?!?

And I believed that the American parents were a little too much sensible about violence in cartoons...

16. Santaman

I don't get it, Tom & Jerry are totally accepted but they're absoletely violent..

17. Santaman

Phill Fuldner's The Final indeed used the German music, "Feinde greifen an" which is "Enemies attack."
    I actually have that CD single LOL

18. Skipper

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  19. Santaman

Different times, different sensibilities.. what was accepted back then isn't accepted nowadays anymore.