Spoilers Can we itemize PIC S2 canonical mistakes.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by joe40001, May 1, 2022.

1. joe40001

joe40001 Commodore Commodore

Hello old friends,

*Spoilers for all aired eps of Picard as they air*
    I'm looking to make a video to express my STPIC views, because personally I have been extremely dissatisfied with Picard. If you are a huge STPIC fan, I have no animosity towards you, but I recommend you leave this topic. Because I truly have 0 wish to antagonize those who enjoy it.

For my video I want to itemize the large canonical mistakes that the show runners have made. And I want canon fans to help me make sure I haven't missed any.

So for those interested, let me know if there are other major ones. Here's what I have so far:
    1. Guinan looks like TNG Guinan in Time's Arrow, in 1893, which means she would look the same in 2024
    2. Guinan meets Picard in Time's Arrow so she should recognize him in 2024*
    2a. I have heard the excuse that she does not recognize him because this is a bad timeline and thus in the future Picard never goes back to meet her, if this were true she literally could not possibly have knowledge of her future bar in deck 10, forward section, and thus would have no reason to pick a location that's a reference to her future bar.
    2b. But this excuse cannot be true because we are watching a show that is hinged upon the idea that Picard and company can prevent the timeline from going bad, thus when they succeed the timeline they are currently in is the "Time's Arrow" timeline.
    3. In Picard's mind, Picard's father looks like he does, and he says:
    "You lived longer than I did, but I got to keep my hair. Not exactly a fair trade, is it?".
    In Tapestry, Picard's father looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I would argue his line implies his father dies *somewhat young* as "You got to live to at least 90-ish, but I died as a slightly younger old man, Not exactly fair, is it?" I don't think is what they were going for. But even if it was, the hair statement is a indicator that they did not know or care about canon here.

What other ones am I missing?

Simba and Char Kais like this.
  2. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha. Good call on the hair. Indeed the writers did not do their homework.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a continuity error. "The Star Gazer" explicitly establishes that El-Aurians can change their apparent external age.

Not a continuity error. She does not have knowledge of her future bar. The implication is that she likes the name "Ten-Forward" and used the "it's the forward section of Deck 10" as an excuse to call it that instead of just "the mess hall" like every other ship.

Not a continuity error. You're just upset that imaginary time travel facilitated by a nigh-omnipotent being doesn't work the way you thought it would work.

Yeah, that's a very minor continuity error. But to frame that minor error as "they did not know or care about canon here" is a huge exaggeration.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most such errors are. But the writers make such good punching bags, don't they? If only they hired the BBS members nothing would ever go wrong.

5. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

As far as Trek complaint lists go, if this is it for PIC s2, then the show is doing GREAT!

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, TEH CANNON!!!!!1!!!!oN3!!!!!!!!

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme, but it did really bum me out to hear Yvette pronounce Maurice's name like "Morris".

Mogh, ED-209 and Bad Thoughts like this.
  8. fireproof78

Only Lafou ever produced it right.

StewMc and Jack Wolfe like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recasting because of age is not a continuity error.

Only one of the things on your list is a genuine continuity error and it's the hair one.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Do your own research.

11. fireproof78

*waves in Saavik, Spock, Kirk, etc.*

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So you came back to the TrekBBS after a two year absence just to make a laundry list of stuff you hate about a show?

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A friend of mine thinks Maurice was just taunting Picard regarding the hair thing, his memory still had hair, but Picard didn't.

TedShatner10 and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  14. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Possible continuity mistake within Star Trek: Picard's own continuity.

In the latest episode, Seven of Nine strongly implies that Starfleet discriminated against her because she was ex-Borg, and wouldn't accept her candidacy, even with Janeway going to bat for her. However, in season 1, we saw that Icheb was a Starfleet officer.

Mogh, Phoenix219, dupersuper and 2 others like this.
  15. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure we'll see Whoopie again as Guinan.

16. fireproof78

That implies a problem with Seven then.

TedShatner10, burningoil, Sci and 2 others like this.
  17. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has been talked about aud nauseam in the 'Hide and Seek' thread. Basically, Starfleet probably thought he'd be less of a problem, and Janeway probably convinced them of that idea.

Llywela, Sci and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  18. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Itemizing. That's totally different. :lol:
    Seven had been compromised by the Borg more than once in VOY. Icheb had not.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Morris is derived from Maurice.

TedShatner10 and Jack Wolfe like this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because no Star Trek series has ever had Canon Mistakes before. This is strictly an aberration of the Kurtzman era, because he is so hedonistic he blatantly pisses all over the Work of Perfect Art that Star Trek prior to 2009 was.

Seriously, people, don't any of you even realize the term YATI (Yet Another Trek Inconsistency) dates back to at least the 1990s? I've some sourced suggest even earlier. Which means long before Kurtzman hedonistically waltzed onto the scene, canon/continuity errors were so common in the franchise, fandom already had a name for it.