Can Time Lords Fly?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well we saw that bloke in Terror of the Autons just floating there like he was Superman, and Romana asked the Doctor if they should use the elevator or fly down to ground level in Paris from the Eiffel Tower in City of Death...

Although considering how the Doctor died in Logopolis you'd have to wonder if it's just a simple piece of technology they use no mre complicated for them than roller saktes for us or a natural skill which rquires some practice and training?

2. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

Didn't The Doctor levitate in Castrovalva? First in the Zero room then so he wouldn't be too heavy to carry for Nyssa and Tegan

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He can fly if the plot demands it.

4. Chris227

Chris227 Lieutenant Commander

The Doctor (and other time lords) are shown to have powers in WHO new and old. The Doctor apparentally has some form of telepathy, we see this a few times in the classic series as well as in the new (Mostly in Moffat's stuff, interestingly enoguh). The Seventh Doctor also had sort of Vulcan nerve pinch abilities, which may or not be related to the whole Venusian karate thing that the third Doctor used a lot.

We do see the tenth Doctor fly without aid once, in Last of the Time Lords.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Although he needs help in Voyage of the Dammed...

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

He had aid in Last of the Time Lords...he had all of that energy or whatever that Angel Network stuff was. So, it wasn't a native power of the Doctor.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course the Doctor can fly, he just throws himself at the ground and misses.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was only because humanity had faith in him, making him Christ-like or something. You know, for an atheist, RTD has a thing for religious imagery...

9. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given who wrote "City of Death", that's probably what Romana meant. :lol:

10. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nine did something wierd when he moved past that spinning fan blade in Rose I think it was . . .

I always figured Time Lords had more abilities than long life/regeneration, genius intellect/wits etc . . . though I'm glad the show never did 'Ability of the Week' type episodes. I'm glad that it's always about smarts, and not "look what I can do!"

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting points. I thought up another analogy.

It's like learning to swim for them.

Personally I can barely float and that was before I got fat.

(Which really should make it easier?)

Maybe he was carrying the Angels in Voyage of the damned because he needed a battering ram when he got up there to the ceiling?

Of course if he could fly, then the Satan Pit would have been a piece of piss.

And possible the excess of religious imagery he uses is simply because he wants to show how easy it is to create religion to explain stuff which is quantifiable to other folks?

12. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Indeed.

I've always found it funny that I love Adams as far as the Hitchhiker's series went but never cared much for his contributions to Doctor Who.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was specifically because the Archangel Network was channeling all of humanity's combined psychic energy into him.

More like undermining religious imagery. The Doctor's powers in "Last of the Time Lords" were specifically identified as being the result of humanity's greatness, not his own.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course he can fly, but he doesn't want to be ostentatious.

15. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

Well, you can argue that in Logopolis the Doctor let himself die as he knew it was foretold through the Watcher...

That, or it's possible they can fly if they're prepared, and the Doctor really wasn't when dangling from the cable :)

16. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure he was temporarily able to slow down time in that scene.

That's the most likely explanation, after all some of the technology he uses (such as the sonic screwdriver) is so far ahead of our own that it's basically "magic".