Can this new crew last as long as the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Phaserman, May 5, 2008.

1. Phaserman

Phaserman Lieutenant

Although there was a ten year gap between TOS and TMP the original crew lasted 25 yrs on screen together until TUC. Can this crew last as long and how long can trek last? Another 40 yrs?

2. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

Did the new replacement crew start out on TV?

TOS's crew got it's fame from TV.

In this century, I don't see millions of movie goers getting excited over one movie.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, and they shouldn't.

4. Tamek

Tamek Admiral Admiral

Why would they want to be in the same role for 40 years?

5. TransporterBeam

TransporterBeam Lieutenant Commander

the new cast has 3 movies in them, maybe 4. After their last film comes out we may get a new TV Series which utilizes the movie sets which will be modified for the new show. Sort of how the sets from ST-TMP where redone for TNG.

6. Mr. Fergy

Mr. Fergy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To answer the Question: 42 Years? Uh, no.

Next question? :)

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love the original crew and their ongoing adventures from TOS to TUC, I have to agree.

8. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

No...I doubt they can.

And frankly, I don't have a problem with that, necessarily.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The circumstances today are too different.

Except maybe forty years from now some hot Hollywood producer will want to remake Star Trek. He'll hire 70 year-old Zachary Quinto play old Spock in the movie. It will be said Chris Pine is not in it, but folks will speculate it's only a ruse.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can last longer. They're starting younger.

But I don't expect them to be in the limelight that long. The franchise will continue with new characters (probably sticking to the 23rd C for the time being with recastings of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT a possibility for the far flung future) and the new TOS crowd will have special-guest-star status. They'll still be around, but used sparingly.

11. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think we're into James Bond land now, folks. In the popular imagination, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT never really replaced TOS as THE ST. For most people, if they think about ST at all, they're thinking Kirk, Spock, McCoy, 23rd C. It's those characters and that time period that are going to get revived over and over again with new actors and new concepts every decade or so until we're so far ahead of that show IRL, tech-wise, that it will be just like Buck Rogers. Kind of quaint and antiquated. Or so redone that we'd never recognize it.

Those of us who patrol the waning fandom of later eras need to content ourselves with DVDs and Pocket Books

12. xoEJox

xoEJox Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd rather they knock it out of the ballpark the first time, and move on.

They could rejuvinate the saga, making the market open to new (good, I hope) Trek, while the actors themselves bug out to other properties.

If anything, I'd expect a new Harrison Ford out of this (in the "was in a cult classic, but quickly moved on to success in other projects" sense), rather than what we saw with the TOS crew.

13. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

With ST, maybe we'll see a few films and then a series. In the movies, we'll be introduced to some new characters that will move to the small screen and a TV series will be born. If I'm reading JJA and Co. correctly, they won't screw with the characters to the degree that TOS would be reimagined into a new series. But, new characters could be brought in without affecting canon at all. These characters could move on to another ship and show.

14. Franklin

I just can't see anything on TV coming out of this movie (or out of three movies or whatever). In my opinion, in the years (and years) to come, any decision to take Trek back to TV would be most soundly made independent of the success of this movie.

This movie is Star Trek. For decades Trek has had a fan base. Sometimes a pretty big one, but now a declining one. So, this movie is being openly marketed to a broader audience. It's being made to have a broad appeal. If Abrams succeeds, movie-goers may really enjoy the characters. They may appreciate the acting, action, and production values. It may make Quinto a big star. The movie may make $300 million or more.
    But a movie-goer being drawn to a good movie is not the same as becoming a fan of Star Trek the franchise. I don't think this movie is being made for that reason, either. People may see this movie twice in the theaters and buy the DVD, but as much as they like it, that's the extent of their involvement with anything Trek. This is not a gateway movie. It would be reckless to think anything else in terms of using the movie as a barometer for yet another Trek TV show.

15. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends, I don't think there's much risk of the actors and actresses being typecast by one or two Trek films, but then they're popular enough for the producers to have to fight other projects for their time.

16. Lumen

Lumen Vice Admiral Admiral

They shouldn't want to last forty years in one role.

17. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek will last for many years thanks to re-runs of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager, maybe Enterprise too. There will be books about the characters in those series as well.

The upcoming second-hand TOS cast will last for one movie but nothing more. The TOS fans won't accept them and the fans of the other series simply don't care about them. Some Trek fans will watch the movie because it's Star Trek but that's all.

Characters like Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty will always be connected with Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and Doohan. Their "replacements" will never be accepted.

18. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope.

This film is a stunt. It may turn out to be a great film; but it will not be a true Star Trek film to the fans who have lived and breathed and bled Star Trek since 1966 (if not in reality than in spirit). Star Trek is all but dead now, and this is just a puppet-show with it's corpse designed to get kids to buy figures.

It may be a fantastic movie. But it won't be a Trek movie.

19. Franklin

Well, it IS a gamble. But it's not a stunt.

I remember when my childhood hero retired from baseball when I was 15. At the same time, my favorite team went into decline. For a number of years the game didn't hold the same interest to me. I really didn't follow it closely. But the thing that makes it "the game" eventually draws you back if you loved it at all. I like baseball more today than I ever did. Even if the only thing that stays the same over time is the spirit of the game.

This movie is a cold reminder that times have moved on. We've all aged. Our interests have waxed and waned. But if the spirit of Trek is worth preserving at all, and it's captured in this movie, then it WILL be a Trek movie. And, it may capture a new set of folks who appreciate what it is. And, it may draw jaded fands back -- if they're willing and their flame never really went out.

20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I must disagree here.

If Star Trek had been dead, then we wouldn't have been here debating this right now. There would have been no plans at all for future Trek movies, no publishing of Trek books and no re-runs of the episodes or movies on different TV-channels in different countries.

Star Trek is far from dead. Maybe inactive but not dead.

And the new movie is an attempt to create new interest for Star Trek. If it is a good attempt is hard to say, I do have my doubts about a TOS movie with "recycled" characters but it's still evidence that Star Trek is alive.

And Star Trek will continue to be alive because of the loyalty of the fans. There will be more re-runs of the series and movies, more books, more new movies and TV series because millions of Star trek fans all over the world is a market which can't be neglected and Star Trek will attract new viewers and fans as well due to its quality, good stories and good characters.