Burnham's Religion

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tenacity, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mention in a resent posting that we might be given the opportunity to learn more about the Vulcan religion (religions) through Burnham.

It would seem to me that if Burnham had religious views, that she would most likely be of the Vulcan religion or one of them, and not a Human one. In the animated episode Yesteryear (TAS) Spock's family was apparently polytheistic, Burnham was of course raised by Sarek.

Not getting into a general discussion on religion (if that's even possible), do you think Burnham would be religious at all, and if she were would she (should she) be written as polytheistic?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect she's a Star Trek atheist.

Longinus likes this.
  3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vulcans worship Logic above all else. I'm pretty sure if they ever had a more contemporary type of religion - the practice was abandoned as they followed the teachings of Surak and committed themselves to the pursuit of the purging/suppression of all emotion and the attainment of pure Logic.
    ^^^
    Given that's the world she grew up in - I'd guess she's agnostic or atheist until someone proves 'God' exists.

4. RobertCardassian

RobertCardassian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ What he said. They worship Logic and treat Surak as an example to live by (not a deity)

KennyB likes this.
  5. RobertCardassian

RobertCardassian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had forgotten the Vulcans were similar to humans before Surak came around.

Makes sense though because of the Pon farr hormones. They are biological and have to suppress their emotions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surak

"During an Earth-like "modern age", when the Vulcans are technological but emotionally driven and violent, Surak founds a movement which reforms the Vulcan way of thinking and lifestyle and leads to the world of logically-reasoning and emotion-repressing Vulcans known from the TV series. This period in Vulcan history is referred to as the "Time of Awakening"."

6. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

She's a white, straight male christian,

It's just she's going through a phase.

cultcross likes this.
  7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Transporter accident?

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  8. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My money is on "lapsed Pastafarian".

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vulcans worship and pray to gods, Spock and Tuvok have even said as much. Spock's cover story he told Sarek in Yesteryear as Cousin Selek is that he was on his on a pilgrimage to the family shrine to make an offering to the gods. In Voyager's Hunters Tuvok's wife said she requested the priests at a temple to pray for Voyager.

I suspect if Michael Burnham does have religious beliefs, they would likely be Vulcan, since the show seems to be operating under the myth that humanity in the future is secular, even though there is plenty of canonical evidence to contradict this to. After all, we have that infamous incident where Jason Isaacs ad-libbed "for God sakes" into his dialogue and the writers flocked on set to inform him that "people don't talk like that in Roddenberry's future" even though in all the other series they did.

Kor likes this.
  10. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan philosophy has been inconsistently portrayed, personally I'd ignore TAS though. I see it more of a philosophy rather than a real religion. The monks are not really religious figures, they're masters of the psychic disciplines, which to the Vulcans are very real and well understood phenomenon. It may seem like mysticism to us non-psychic humans, but it really isn't. I really can't see them believing in gods; in TNG references to ancient Vulcan gods are made, but that is in the context of speaking about the pre-Surakian times. Faith is not logical. But as I said, it seems that different writers have depicted this differently in different times, so I can understand why some people might interpret it in other ways. Personally I wish they would go with 'philosophy, not a religion' angle in DIS.

11. Tenacity

Spock (as Selek): "I am journeying to the family shrine to honor our gods."

T'Pel (Tuvok's spouse): "My husband, we have been given the news that you are alive. Your children and I have asked the priests at the temple of Amonak to say prayers for your safe return."

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in the days when TAS was regarded as apocryphal, Yesteryear still got acknowledged by everyone who had any kind of authority over the franchise.

13. Longinus

That always bothered me. Praying is not logical behaviour.

14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Isn't it? Logic depends entirely on your axioms, and it's fair to say a Vulcan's foundational understanding of the universe is different from us poor, non-psychic, slower-than-light-limited 21st century humans.

They're Vulcans. They've got a big room in a mountain where they talk to dead people, who talk back. They can sense psychic phenomena instantly across lightyears. Whatever the specifics of their religion/philosophy/metaphysics, it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that they have concluded that the Vulcan Masters can turn their vast talents towards influencing probabilities towards fortuitous outcomes (something we've also seen is possible in Trek).

And, of course, the Vulcans say they're a lot more logical than they are.

Nyotarules, Kor, chappaai and 2 others like this.
  15. Longinus

It would be really silly if Vulcans could use their psychic powers to affect events they have no proper knowledge of, in completely different part of the galaxy.

16. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure. Right now I'm trying to determine how much of this show calls back, or feels inspired by DS9, to me. I'm hoping Discovery DOES deal with religion like DS9 did, not like TNG or TOS.

17. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

The idea that Vulcans are completely emotionless is a false one. As such, Vulcans might see prayer as logical if there is no other means of affecting change. As Niels Bohr is rumoured to have said about the "lucky horseshoe" hanging above his door: "Of course I don’t believe in it, but I understand it brings you luck, whether you believe in it or not."

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^
    That's from ST:Voy (I didn't watch ST:Voy past "The 37's" ;)

19. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

According to the producers, Michael's religion will be revealed to be Muslim at a later date. She is estranged from the religion currently, as the orthodox practitioners, particularly the faith leaders, do not condone her living as a man.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Nyotarules and Tim Thomason like this.
  20. Tenacity

Might be completely logical for Vulcans and their perception of the universe, just as it is for many Humans.

Tuvok's family prayed for his safe return, and he did.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017