Bridge Overhead Monitor design question

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by slipcover, Apr 25, 2014.

1. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Hello. I knew this was the place to come to find an answer to this question! You guys have helped me understand this stuff before.

I was looking for the width of what the McMaster bridge blueprints labeled as the "overhead monitor" frames. I excerpted this section from the McMaster Bridge plans, (and another screen shot), so that my question would make sense.

At first, I thought the width of the frames were the same width as the outer wall edges of the turbolift. I have included a photo below to illustrate my query.
    But now I think this is probably an optical illusion, since the monitor frames were set back from the wall, they probably are wider, but look equal because they are further away.

My question is:
    How wide is this part of the overhead monitor frame I have indicated on the blueprint?

As always, I thank you for the helping me. My photo links are right below this.

- Bill

[​IMG]Overhead Monitor Width Comparison by perbatum, on Flickr

[​IMG]How wide is the area indicated? by perbatum, on Flickr

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I can give you an approximation that I've used in my 3D renders. This may help you. However, I'm away from my PC right now. I'll get a figure to you soon.

3. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Dear Mr. Versiga,

Thank you, sir! I don't mean to freak you out, but I've been following your work. I can honestly say that the art you have submitted to this site is astonishing.

In fact, it was your work on the bridge that actually made me wonder about this measurement. I look forward to seeing what you came up with.

Sincerely,
    Bill

4. Donny

No problem!

I've been taking an extended break from Trek stuff the past few months, but I'm actually rebuilding my TOS bridge this week. Getting it ready for render with the new Unreal 4 engine. Super excited. Stay tuned for screenshots.

What are you using the measurements for? Got a project going yourself?

5. Donny

It looks like I used a length of roughly 7 inches/18 centimeters for the gap. I used the McMaster's plans for building the bridge as well, and found them pretty accurate (except for a couple of control console layouts and the height of the "dome" sections above each bridge module

However, I do not recall exactly how I came to use this figure. I most likely eyeballed it.

6. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Thank you, sir! I really appreciate you looking up the measurement for me!

In answer to your question, I was hoping to build a monitor frame in my garage. My idea is to have a frame around my television. Understandably, my significant other does not want the entire house converted into the Enterprise, so I bargained for something that would be less intrusive. The key word here is "hoping." Since I have no real woodworking skills, I may be a bit out of my league, but I want to try at least.

I am very excited to see your new bridge work!

Sincerely,
    Bill