BK Impossible Whopper....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Doctor Bombay, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Doctor Bombay

Doctor Bombay Captain Captain

... tastes like a real Whopper.

Had one for lunch today. I was pleasantly surprised, but not totally shocked.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

@Doctor Bombay , are you intending that this thread become a larger discussion around plant-based meat substitutes? Because if it is just intended to be an update on what you had for lunch, I'm going to move it to the "Random Thoughts" thread.

3. Doctor Bombay

Hmmm... if you please, let's keep it open and see what anyone else has to say.

4. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Random thought! :nyah:

5. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    I haven't tried the Impossible Whopper, but I did try Carl's Jr Beyond Famous Star.
    It tasted mostly like a regular hamburger but it felt odd in my stomach. Not sold yet.

It's not dinner unless something died for it.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

I find the idea of a vegan Whopper to be rather amusing. Who goes to places like BK for their health, anyway? :lol:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Admiral2 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  7. Doctor Bombay

Actually, it's a vegetarian Whopper, since it has regular cheese on it. ;)

With 5% of Americans espousing a vegetarian diet of some sort now, it's good to see the chains switching over to something healthier.

ETA: a woman I went to school with developed an allergy to red meat a few years ago from a tick bite, and she's really enjoying the Impossible Whopper!

Qonundrum and SolarisOne like this.
  8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Why do you assume it's something to do with your health ?

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's true even for Vegans. Insects die due to farming.

Ironically, the best way to feed yourself is to take up bow-hunting, and eat venison.

If you eat the cow--or eat like the cow--either you burp the methane or the cow does. Lots of Bison or cows--it's all about the same.

But you need a lot of crop or pasture land one way or the other.

With deer meat, you aren't chopping anything down--or digging anything up.

The worst implement we ever used against Mother Earth was not the drill bit--but the plow.

Qonundrum and Nakita Akita like this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Also the patty is cooked on the same grill as regular burgers and chicken patties, so it picks up trace amounts of meat juices or whatever that way.

The Impossible Burger isn't really significantly healthier than a beef burger:

https://thetakeout.com/review-burger-king-impossible-whopper-1837069411
    The benefit of eating vegetarian (aside from ethical reasons) is more about the planet's health and the economy's health, because livestock agriculture is terrible for the environment and very resource-intensive. The more people cut back on meat-eating, the more global warming would be slowed.

I've been curious about the Impossible Burger, but I'm not sure it's something I need to have. I've been eating veggie burgers so long that I've pretty much lost my taste for ground beef anyway. Making veggie burgers taste like beef is more for the benefit of people who haven't already retrained their palates for vegetarian foods.

SolarisOne and Nakita Akita like this.
  11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It has got a lot to do with not killing animals and something to do with reducing environment impact.

Oh I don't know. I gave up meat in 1985 and I'm loving the new plant based meat substitutes that are springing up.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  12. Christopher

Okay, might be worth a try sometime.

SolarisOne likes this.
  13. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Well sometimes a group of friends wants to go somewhere to eat.
    If you are vegitarian sometimes it's nice not to have to get just a salad. Most veggie burgers are more filling that a salad.

14. Christopher

Also, fast-food salads often have meat in them and you have to be careful not to order the wrong one. I once accidentally ordered one that turned out to have bacon in it.

SolarisOne and Nakita Akita like this.
  15. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Or there are apples and cranberries (cheap)
    I didn't order a fruit salad. :ack:
    Where are the zucchini and celery and mushrooms and bell peppers?:biggrin:

But I thought that BK always had a veggie burger?
    I love it when I tell people I'm vegitarian and they tell me to "have the chicken".

SolarisOne and Relayer1 like this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's like anything, some are good, some less so.

And opinions on which are which vary...

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

We truly live in the future, if now vegans can clog their arteries with junk food just as well as meat eaters.

I’m not vegan but if I ever tried to be I think I’d gorge on primavera pasta.

Skipper likes this.
  18. Christopher

To me, "Vegan" will always mean someone from a planet orbiting Alpha Lyrae. I find it such a weird coinage for people who think "vegetarian" isn't vegetarian enough. It's even weirder that two of the three letters "vegan" shares with "vegetable" aren't even pronounced the same way.

SolarisOne and NCC-73515 like this.
  19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I've had the Impossible Whopper (tried out of sheer curiosity) and the Beyond Burger (friend took me out to lunch and she's vegetarian, so I didn't want to make her pay for meat).

Overall, I thought the Beyond burger was pretty bad. It had an overwhelmingly bad odor (smelled like ... boiled peas) and the flavor was nowhere near actual beef. Very, very dry, too. I'd never have one again.

The Impossible Whopper was ... something. It smelled like a beef burger, it looked like a beef burger, and for the most part, it tasted like a beef burger (I'm guessing the high sodium content has something to do with it). But again, the texture was off, almost crumbly. But it wasn't a waste of four bucks, I suppose. Not something I'd ever go out of my way for, either.

That being said, I'm glad for the surge of improvements in plant-based meat substitutes. Our meat consumption, not just as a country but across the entire world, is entirely unsustainable and is one of the biggest contributors to climate change. The technology will only get better as time goes by.

SolarisOne and NCC-73515 like this.
  20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Probably the only reason it's palatable ;)

I'll stick with the beef, thanks :techman:

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.