Bizarre "Captain's Pick" choices--what would yours be?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by david g, Aug 1, 2007.

1. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

I can fully understand "COUNTERPOINT." But "THE OMEGA DIRECTIVE" & "FLASBACK"?

Dont get me wrong, these are good episodes. I especially enjoy Flashback, and I appreciate seeing Janeway as scientist in Omega. Yet I think Flashback is a Tuvok episode, and I think that Omega is, at heart, a Seven episode. (Pace Michelle Erica Greene, I like it as an episode about Seven and, of all things, Borg spirituality.)

For my "Captain's Pick," I would add "DEADLOCK" or "ENDGAME PART II"--of so many, many choices!--to the Captain Janeway lovefest (if I had to pick just two).

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'd have put Macrocosm in there- Janeway gets all Ellen Ripley on us...

3. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

I don't think Spike TV cares. I didn't know they were using a pattern.

About Flashback, cute but predictable. Notice they didn't explain how the Doctor got them in the right bodies, just a voice over saying he had done it. How? Brain transplants?

Omega Directive, hated this, stole too much from Wrath of Kahn. Protomatter-Omega see no difference. I expected Janeway to look up at one point and scream, "Seven"! Janeway broke the prime directive yet again which she admitted to by telling that culture what technology they could and could not develop.

4. Jared

Jared Commodore Commodore

I love "Counterpoint" and was glad to see it on the discs. However I wish that "Equinox" had been on there as well.

5. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

"Counterpoint" was a great choice, and kudos to Mulgrew for it, but I definitely would've gone with "Resistance" and "Year of Hell" for the other two. The former because it's a personal favourite, and the latter because Janeway just pwns and Mulgrew kills the performance.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Coda" or "11:59"

Both tell stories about Janeway, her influences that made her the person we know and how it influences and inspires those around her.

7. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

"Coda", and "Resolutions" would have been better choices. Where would the J/C lovers be without Resolutions?!?!

8. RaulMacca

RaulMacca Vice Admiral Admiral

Counterpoint was voted in a bbc poll as the greatest ever star trek captain episode a few years back, they did a special trek night on bbc2.

Year of hell for me was Janeway at her best.

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy Dangerously Sexy Rear Admiral

I agree. Deadlock, Endgame, Equinox, Counterpoint, and Year of Hell showcased Janeway and Kate Mulgrew at her best.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah but knowing the out come of the show, "Resolutions" seems like a tease now.

As shallow as that reason maybe, it's why I can't have it as one of my choices.

11. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Endgame had two, two, two Janeways in one. :D

12. Jared

Jared Commodore Commodore

"Flashback", although a good episode, was mainly about Tuvok.
    Although it seems that the episodes picked on the DVD set was not just about the captains. Why was "In Theory" picked? Isnt that episode about Data? Why not pick "Tapestry"?

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I think 'In Theory' was Patrick Stewart's pick for the set, since each "captain" got to pick one episode, and that was the first one he directed.

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Equinox
    Year of Hell

15. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

"Endgame" might have been good as it was very Janeway-heavy, but it's already been on what... two of the previous fan collections? Time Travel and Borg collections, I think.

Equinox would have been great as it shows Janeway, I think, at her best and her worst. Year of Hell as well, as it showed again that, while Janeway could be extreme at times, it was always for the sake of her crew and her ship. The big "reset button" at the end may nullify that, but...

...how about "Threshold"? ;) :lol:

16. presence

presence Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What we need to realize about this, is that we are coming from a fan's perspective. Listening to the Captain's Logs videos, it becomes clear that the actors can't remember seven seasons worth of episodes. Patrick Stewart addressed this when he said he "could remember a few from the first season and a few from season seven". The actors put in 12-15 hour days and the episodes are rarely shot in sequence (1st scene, 2nd scene, etc.). Unless you sit down and watch the episodes, your memories of them would be fragmentary -- to say the least.

17. EMHMark613

EMHMark613 Commodore Commodore

Instead of Flashback and The Omega Directive, I would have picked Concerning Flight and Equinox