Birth of the Federation II

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by The DOS Machine, Nov 13, 2004.

1. The DOS Machine

The DOS Machine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't worry, I've been around here more than long enough to know not to get my hopes up whenever a new BotF2 project comes along, but I thought I should let you all know about it anyway:

http://botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/

Apparently, this site was recently launched to support this project. I just discovered it today. Anyone know about this?

-DOSMAN

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Very very cool ... hopefully I'll get this sometime next year, as the original game is one of favourite games ever. Interesting what changes are happening.

3. Pheon

Pheon Commander Red Shirt

I loved the game to. I still play it to this day, and have hoped for a sequel for ages now.

4. Chang

Chang Admiral Admiral

I still play BOTF every once and a while.

5. Doherty

Doherty Lieutenant Red Shirt

i first got botf when i was 15, i played it almost everyday it was a very addicitive game, and still is, every once and awhile i take it out of storage to play it, its been a few months since ive played it. after awhile it gets boring, but somehow it gets back to being good when not played in awhile, i jope this sequel will turn out good if it does happen

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, of course, my hopes aren't exactly going to be raised by yet another BOTF II project, given the track record of such ventures. But nonetheless a small part of me dares to wish it becomes reality.

The original BOTF remains an awesome multiplayer game, esp. over LAN where lag/out of synch isn't such a problem.

7. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've actually never played it via multiplayer. I should try that sometime, now that i have dsl...

8. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Looks interesting. I never played the original, but always wanted to, it looks like MOO in the Star Trek universe.

At least it'll help me get over the fact "Stars! Supernova Genesis" may never see the light of day... :(

9. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

You know, I really liked the concept of BOTF a lot more than I liked the actual game. The idea of a Turn based strategy with actual strategic elements set in the star trek universe and covering a huge time span with technology advances?

I'm there.

It just sucks that the game is so freaking buggy.. even on the computers of today, it crunks up after about 100 turns, and that 3d battle rendering part of it always made me a little nervous that the game was going to explode and cancel out hours of work!

I hope they do come up with one that dosen't suck.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. ShamelessMcBundy

Yeah, there has been a lot of BOTF rumors going around, so i agree with you not to get too excited, but i hope that it is true.

12. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

Yeah, what I usually do to relieve the stress of all those rumor is pretend that I'm waiting for turn number 807 to render.

13. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

"yawn" what?

- Dull thread
    - Or fed up hearing about BOTF Mark XVII rumours?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

yes

15. LeandroTLZ

LeandroTLZ Commander Red Shirt

I never played the first BotF, but I notice it was made by Microprose. Is it just Civilization with a Star Trek skin? (Which would already make a good game) Or did they really go into detail with the ST universe tech, and making the races different?

16. kickinitoldschool

kickinitoldschool Commander Red Shirt

Does anybody know where I can downlaod the BOTF-XP patch?

17. ShamelessMcBundy

It's a sign of the apocolypse: There will be sequals and rumors of sequals...

18. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I can't remember where I got mine, but I have a copy on my hard drive. PM me if you're interested. :)

I've had a good look around the site and everything they propose sounds very interesting, with some nice updates to the original BOTF. They reckon a Beta will be out by Christmas, cautiously optimistic until then. Though having said that, have any previous versions of BOTF2 managed to make it to a Beta stage?

One last thing, what's this Borg mod I've heard mentioned for the original?

19. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Both the Borg mod and XP patch can be found here. I'm not sure if the borg mod can work in conjunction with the XP patch, I couldn't get it to work for some reason...

20. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

In my opinion, BotF was a Master of Orion (also made by MicroProse) with many chunks removed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BotF, but coming from a MoO background, it was not at all impressive.