Bioware/EA/Mythic might be doing a wing commander/ultima dosbox.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TEH BABA, Sep 29, 2010.

1. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Rerelease of both series.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

No links or other information? just 4 words.

3. TEH BABA

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like a push, but if it's coming from inside the company it could be cool. The fact that they stripped the copy protection and got it working is nice anyway.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

You're not familiar with TEH BABA, are you?

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's also been mentioned on www.wcnews.com (or at least the Wing Commander part)

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

A version of WC I bought in the mid-'90s as part of a combo pack had the protection removed, too. Must be fairly trivial.

Does no one remember The Kilrathi Saga? That was the first 3 WC games coded to run under DirectX. I understand it was a bit buggy but that might be a far better place to start than running it under fucking DOSBox.

I love DOSBox but I get a little annoyed with how lazy some game companies have gotten because of it. They won't take the time to rework the game into a modern graphics/sound API because it's too hard, waaaah. Forget all the open source projects where people do exactly that, remaking classic games with modern technology and keeping them compatible with the original data files. It can't be that damn tough if there are a billion OSS projects out there who do it.

I say this mostly because I've gotten a couple games from Steam that run under DOSBox and they usually don't have it set up very well. I end up having to tweak everything myself to get it to run decently. If you're going to do a re-release actually do something with it, don't just slap it into DOSBox and sell it for $10 a pop.

8. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yup, I got suckered into the Space Quest collection on DOSBox, and it sucked. As you said, DOSBox is great, but to just slap it on to an existing game and hope that it will work properly is really lazy.

9. firehawk12

Hrm, I do remember the Kilrathi Saga... I guess that stuff isn't Windows Vista/7 compatible?
    I do find it unfortunate that they can't just rework the game to run without emulation, but I guess the point is that it's better than nothing?

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

TKS was coded for Windows 95, so it doesn't work that well (or at all) for the NT-based Windows versions (2000, XP, Vista, 7.)

But assuming the original source code is available to the folks at EA--which it should be since they own the Origin properties--it should not be tremendously effort-intensive to rewrite the graphics, audio, and input subsystems to use DirectX.

11. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

DOSBox releases don't have to be "slapped together" however... see GOG. I don't see anything wrong with a properly configured DOSBox release. Not to mention of course that the purpose of these releases in general is to make money, they have limited appeal and doing a real port is a lot more expensive relatively speaking. Even if EA does have access to the code for TKS, it's a non-trivial task.

12. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Windows 7 doesn't have DirectDraw support which rules out The Kilrathi Saga. Also TKS version of Wing Commander 2 wasn't that good. Apparently there where missing art and music assets. As for the source code, that's long gone. Origin apparently wern't that good at keeping track of their assets.

13. firehawk12

I also remember that with TKS, you had to download the Secret Missions? They couldn't get them ready at the time or something.

Oh, that reminds me - the Prophecy "sequel" was one of the first times that I remember a game being released for free and consistently episodically. Don't know why I was reminded of it though. :lol:

14. TEH BABA

Someone made a mod to that prophecy sequel that was called Wing commander standoff.

15. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Secret missions and Special ops both had to be downloaded for TKS. Secret Ops, the Prophecy "sequel" was downloadable, Armada also had a patch/add on called Proving Grounds.