News Big Finish to celebrate International Women's Day 2019 with The Eighth of March

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Oct 30, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Big Finish announced today that they will be releasing a special box set of stories to celebrate International Women's Day 2019 starring many of the wonderful female characters in the Doctor Who universe.

Starring Ace (Sophie Aldred) and Professor Bernice Summerfield (Lisa Bowerman), Professor River Song (Alex Kingston) and Leela (Louise Jameson), UNIT-team Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave) and Osgood (Ingrid Oliver) and, in a Big Finish first together, Madame Vastra (Neve McIntosh) and her wife Jenny (Catrin Stewart). This box set celebrates these powerful, multifaceted characters in stories very unique to the Doctor Who universe.

Four adventures set on the 8th of March will see some of the strongest women in the universe working together…

The Big Blue Book by Lizzie Hopley (starring Ace and Bernice Summerfield)
    Inside Every Warrior by Gemma Langford (starring the Paternoster Gang)
    Emancipation by Lisa McMullin (starring River Song and Leela)
    Narcissus by Sarah Grochala (starring Kate Stewart, Osgood and… the other Osgood!)​

Sounds fantastic! I can't wait to listen to these stories!

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And what about International Men's Day, eh? When do we get one of those?

Not serious, I don't hesitate to add but I can imagine certain types of so-called fans getting their (manly) knickers in a twist over it.

OCD Geek and Starkers like this.
  3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Excellent. Paternoster Gang backdoor pilot!

Nightowl1701 and OCD Geek like this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know, right? When does the White Straight Man get his day, huh? Equal rights for Whites! BUILD THE WALL!!

Please realize I'm joking.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

What about men who get their girlie knickers in a twist? Don't we :shifty:...I mean they get a day?

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

November 19th :)

Captaindemotion likes this.
  7. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

About frakking time too. So we have Torchwood and Class revivals, spin-offs for River, the Kate/Osgood era UNIT, Derek Jacobi's War Master & (presumably) the Paternoster Gang plus David Tennant pumping out three new episodes a year.

That just leaves a Clara/Me spin-off and getting Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi into the recording booth. And also Eccleston if hell somehow freezes over.

8. The Wormhole

Oh wow. I had to look that up, I didn't realize there really is an International Men's Day.

Sounds like something thought up by a total Broflake.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I only know this because the comedian Richard Herring spends every International Woman's Day on Twitter answering the question StCoop said in jest that's asked in all seriousness by hundreds of blokes!

10. The Wormhole

And to think, I had a teacher who accused me of being a selfish brat for asking why there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but no Son's Day or Daughter's Day.

FrobisherthePenguin and Starkers like this.
  11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There are indeed people at Gallifrey Base who are sincerely taking that line. To which more reasonable sorts are pointing out that there are 19 BF box sets released or scheduled to release in 2018 that are written, directed, and produced entirely by men, with 10 more already announced for 2019. Meanwhile, this year marked the first time in ten years that a woman was the sole author of a main range story, only four Companion Chronicles out of roughly 100 have been written by women, only one Fourth Doctor adventure was co-written by a woman (and that woman happened to be Louise Jameson), no woman has yet written an Early Adventure or an Eighth Doctor Adventure...

12. BritishSeaPower

Clara/Me is such a gift to Big Finish.

OCD Geek likes this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll wait for the one released on International Men's Day. :)

14. BritishSeaPower

And now we have the announcement of Companion Piece as part of Ravenous 3. A little later, early April, but I'm excited for Charley, Liv, Helen, River and Bliss!

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Reminder that this set came out today! I didn't get a chance to listen to any of the stories, but I just uploaded them to my phone so I can start listening to them tomorrow.

KimMH likes this.
  16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are audio box sets kind of like books on tape? I first thought this would be dvd's or blu-rays but noticed this wasn't.. Or is it like those old time radio shows back before tv and people only had radio where you got actors reading scripts and some guy who makes sound effects and all that stuff.

Jason

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The latter, except they've got a lot better with the sound effects (and have the actual actors from the show to work from). Plus no commercials. The scripts and performances are generally up to par with the actual show; As long as you can deal with the occasional clunky bit of dialogue that clues you in to what you're supposed to be 'seeing,' you'll have a great time.

OCD Geek likes this.
  18. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

It's a box of CDs (A jewel case package in this instance), or you can get it as a download. Buy the CD from Big Finish, you automatically get a download.

Think of them as a complete stage or TV show without the visuals.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds kind of neat. I should try one of them out. I am guessing I could find one downloaded on Youtube or something.

Jason

20. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Actually, you'd be better off downloading directly from their website. They do offer the occasional free sampler episode there, or a full free story (streaming, not download) on Soundcloud.