Poll Big Bang Theory Finale

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Non Sync, May 18, 2019.

?

Did the finale end on a high or low note?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2019.
  1. High Note- hit everything you wanted it to...

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Got most everything...

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Got somethings but not others...

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. A few things right, but more things wrong...

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Low Note- Can we get a re-do?

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    The finale has finally come and gone. I thought they did nice job with wrapping things up. There were elements that were predictable but they resisted doing a bunch of cameos, keeping it to just the regular cast members.

Some thought the show had lost its punch and the characters had become somewhat caricatures (especially Amy, but nowhere near as bad as Alan Harper from Two and a Half Men). That is a challenge with a long running show. Don't allow the characters grow and you're criticized for stale characters. Allow the characters to grow and you're catch it for changing things. If you really want to see how the characters changed, watch the unaired pilot of the show.

I liked the tie-in from Young Sheldon showing what the various characters were doing when the young Sheldon was listening to the Nobel prize announcements.

In the end it was a heartfelt expression of what the characters meant to each other.

Greg Cox, Kerock and nightwind1 like this.
  2. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn’t like it. Glad it’s over. Young Sheldon is better.

bigdaddy likes this.
  3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was pissed off on how they made Penny change her mind about children.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  4. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

There were some genuinely funny moments in this finale, something that was missing from the show for the longest time. Like when a baseball team in a season long slump turns it around for their last two games.

bigdaddy likes this.
  5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

This isn't not that uncommon. Nothing worth to be pissed off about. :bolian:

They really did a good job with that last scene on Young Sheldon...lot of details consistent with what we've learned about the main cast over the years. I even noticed the type of ceiling in the young Penny's bedroom, suggesting a rural home as we might expect in Nebraska. The house of cards in young Howie's bedroom not to mention it looks much like it did during the early seasons of TBBT. Young Amy reading Little House on the Prairie. And I like how wealthy Raj's old bedroom looked.

Kerock, nightwind1 and KennyB like this.
  6. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked it. I never expected TBBT to make me cry, but damned if Sheldon's Nobel speech tribute to his friends didn't do it.

I'll miss the show, but I do enjoy Young Sheldon, so at least there's still that.

Greg Cox, 1001001, Nerys Myk and 2 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was fine.
    People can change their minds about having kids when they get knocked up accidentally. No biggie. Tho just not having it happen at all would have been fine too. It was basically a plot ply to show Sheldon having one more super-selfish fit.

nightwind1 and KennyB like this.
  8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I can't remember a movie or TV show ever making me angry......You are correct though......my wife never wanted kids......EVER. Until we had our daughter......then we added two more. @Serial thread killer should take a relaxing deep breath. :D

Photoman15 likes this.
  9. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I happen to agree with @Serial thread killer. As a woman who never wants kids it’s disappointing to see women on tv change their minds the second they are pregnant. It makes those of us who don’t want to join the cult of motherhood feel like no matter what we will be fated to, because the maternal bond will just kick in immediately. It’s 2019. Society has to stop making us all into baby factories.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Howard and Berny left their kids with a walking disaster like Stuart, then they deserved to come back to a couple baby corpses.

Years ago I remember episodes we where Stuart was Superdad, just to make Howard look like a lazy dumpable shmuck.

What changed?

Denise.

Leaving Sweden after 5 minutes because they don't now how to look after their babies, shows that they are incompetents who over committed, and Sheldon had every right to feel abandoned. Besides, I remember Berny complaining about her childhood, but suddenly he's better than Stuart?

(I watched a rerun of Barney Miller Recently. Wow. Time fucked that guy up.)

If Berny and Buffy had babies, imagine how little and blonde they would be.

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It also opens the question, did Leonard take advantage of Penny being drunk and skipped the birth control for the opportunity to get her pregnant. It is an ugly ending.

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Why would Leonard do that if he was accepting of Penny's intent not to have kids?

It's more like Penny had one of those unfortunate times when the pill doesn't work and that there was no improper action on Leonard's part.

And what ever Leonard's faults, doing what you've suggested would not be in his character.

May 20 likes this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It was alright. Buffy was fine but I still think Shatner should have been the last guest star.

14. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Big Bang ended a couple seasons too late and while I am not angry that Penny decided she is okay with having kids, to throw it in the last twenty minutes of your series finale and not give it any weight was a misstep. The fact that she was so against it and is now suddenly fine with it for a couple of subpar jokes about not drinking and Amy's dress going in was not the way to broach the subject and could've really been addressed in their own way and could've replaced the whole Kal Penn storyline.

Speaking of the Nobel storyline, I didn't hate it, but I think the final season would've been better served on the further evolution of the group towards a final conclusion. With Leonard and Penny having their child, do they want to stay in the apartment or find a house? I know it would've been a close copy of the Friends finale, but there was no real button on the end. Sheldon's speech was good, but we have seen the same thing many times over the years and he always resets, so what makes this time any different? This was always Big Bang's problem. While there was some character evolution, they tended to stay inside their stereotypes and never really grow with the exception of Penny.

15. Gov Kodos

No, it's exactly the Needy Baby Greedy Baby character he's always been.

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

....We never learned Penny’s last name (her last name before she married Leonard, of course.) I waited twelve years for that payoff. Also, did Tony die in the Sopranos finale?

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Penny's last name is Soprano.

USS Triumphant and GNDN18 like this.
  18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Believe me, society is not turning you into a baby factory.
    But, you're not Penny. Penny always (previous to this season) said she'd want kids... someday.
    When it came up this year, she just wasn't ready. We don't know why. Was she worried she be a bad parent? Was she worried Hillary Clinton could eventually become President? We don't know. But when she got pregnant, she accepted it - why can't you? It's her choice (and I know the writers choice, but this happens all the time. Women change their mind. Different things trigger it).

Velocity likes this.
  19. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Wow. You waited for nothing. The producers said like 5 years ago that we'd never get a last name. It became a superstition. If they gave her a name, they'd get cancelled. And (according to Kaley) the superstition lives on, even though they ended the series. I guess they didn't want to jinx a reunion in a few years.

20. Gov Kodos

Here comes the mansplaining.

Serial thread killer likes this.