Best Use of TOS Music in Later Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CoveTom, Jun 6, 2013.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought about making this a poll, but there are just too many choices for that to be practical.

What is your favorite use of music from TOS in later incarnations of Trek, be it within the TV series or the movies?

Certainly, the fanfare has been used time and time again, but personally I like it when they can manage to work in more of the main TOS theme than just the fanfare.

On that immediately comes to mind for me is the end title music from TSFS. The bit of the music that plays before the credits roll, as we're on Vulcan seeing the newly resurrected Spock interacting with his friends, makes beautiful use of the entire Courage theme, not just the fanfare, IMHO. It's one of the most perfect uses of it I can think of.

I'm curious to here what other uses of the theme, or any TOS music really, others like.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I always liked the pensive and almost wistful version of the orginal theme used briefly in TMP as Kirk dictates his Captain's Log reference risking warp drive while still in the solar system.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Search for Spock has the most TOS music interwoven, and it does it so well you almost don't realize it. I think James Horner really had the impression that was going to be the last Trek movie, and the TOS music was meant to really kind of wrap everything up in a bow.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

"Home Again / End Credits" from the Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home soundtrack.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first one that came to mind for me was the afore mentioned use of the Alexander Courage theme from Search for Spock. The others mentioned were also brilliant uses.

I seem to remember at the end of McCoy's cameo in Encounter at Farpoint, a thoughtful, almost melencholy take on the original fanfare. Also, I believe when Scotty first sees the holodeck recreation of the original bridge on TNG's episode Relics.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    The first few notes of TWOK leading to the main theme. Very powerful.

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I honestly haven't thought much about the music used for Post-TOS movies. What has been said here has inspired me to look into it--thanks. :)

While TOS music is rather dated compared to the way music soundtracks are used in later Trek series, it does have a rather visceral quality that worked so well for the many moments depicted. From the booming kettle drums during heavy duty conflicts to the soft romantic/forlorn passages during introspective moments, the music was SO important to the feelings invoked within TOS. When I was young I hadn't even given it a thought... it's so easy to overlook music. And yet as an adult I soon began to appreciate the impact the music can make and in fact make-or-break what is visually presented. Funny enough... for a good many years I've noticed the music used in TOS but rarely take notice of it in any of the other Trek series. It's mostly transparent to me. One of the exceptions was in the final TNG episode, "All Good Things"... I found the music a bit annoyingly repetitive in the ending moments, like the last 15 minutes.

8. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Ron Jones. TNG: Best of Both Worlds. "Captain Borg". Right when Picard turns to the camera and Worf says "Captain!"

At 0:49 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9GDlGZm7Y

For me that exact moment epitomizes the changing of the guard from the TOS era to the TNG era.

Chilling...

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I'd forgotten about the music for that scene; definitely a good choice.

I still have fresh memories of seeing that episode and the controversy that was afoot back then; is Patrick Stewart done with Star Trek? Will he die as a Borg? What a tense summer that was. ;)