Best Post-Unity DS9 Novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Odo, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

Hi folks,

I'm a huge DS9 fan (it's my favorite TV show), and I very much enjoyed the DS9 relaunch when it came out back in the day (Avatar through Worlds of). I also read the Destiny trilogy, which I loved. I know things fell apart when Marco left/was fired (I can't remember the details), but that they've since resurrected the series.

I was wondering two things:
    have there been any books of the same quality as the original DS9 relaunch since?
    which stories finish off the plot lines of the relaunch series? (like the Andor/Shran stuff, for example)

Thanks,
    Constable Odo

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Among my personal favorites were the Typhon Pact novels written by David R. George III (they are pretty much DS9 novels, just without the logo on the cover), the Quark eBooks Lust's Latinum Lost (And Found) and Rules of Accusation. I'd also highly recommend The Crimson Shadow and The Missing and just generally everything Una McCormack has written. I have not yet read Force and Motion but judging from the author's TNG novel The Light Fantastic it could well be a very interesting read. In conclusion, I'd say if you want to go by quality read everything that says McCormack on the cover.

[/QUOTE]which stories finish off the plot lines of the relaunch series? (like the Andor/Shran stuff, for example)[/QUOTE]
    The Andorian storyline is followed up in TP: Paths of Disharmony and TF: A Ceremony of Losses. The Ascendents story was followed up in the main DS9 lime in Sacraments of Fire and Ascendance. Unfortunately these books are... Well, they are hardly memorable, they introduce about five new "main" characters who suffer from a lack of character and memorability and the whole thing is just reaaaally hard to read through.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you asking just about the post-Destiny books or the pre-time jump books after Unity? There were still either 6 books or 10 stories, if you want to count the two novellas in the Worlds of DS9 books individually, after Unity but before the time jump. My favorite post-Destiny pre-time jump book was Warpath, my favorite post-time jump books were the DRGIII's 3 Typhon Pact books.

4. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed David Mack's Zero Sum Game (Typhon Pact) and Disavowed (Section 31) Bashir books, plus pretty much anything else with Dax and the Aventine (particularly Brinkmanship).

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The never ending sacrifice - Una McCormack

jaime, MadeIndescribable and Jinn like this.
  6. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for your suggestions!

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I loved the Never Ending Sacrifice, but I've also found Mack's Bashir books fantastic...although 1 of those was part of The Fall, and the other 2 were Section 31 books. I still consider them DS9 books :)

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Section 31: Disavowed and Section 31: Control, easily.

Kilana2 likes this.
  9. marlboro

marlboro Guest

The Never Ending Sacrifice

I loved the story line from Olympus Descending through The Soul Key but the time jump and ultimate resolution to the story pretty much ruined all of the previous books for me.

10. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Force and Motion by Jeffrey Lang