Best Pirates Books

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Ometiklan, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I just finished reading "Empire of Blue Water" about Henry Morgan and the pirates/privateers of the Caribbean. It was very readable and an interesting story, but now I am looking to find a follow-up book that deals with more of pirate/privateer history in the Caribbean and goes into more depth.

I already got the following books because they were free (ebooks) and are early sources of pirate history:
    "A general history of the Pyrates" by Captain Johnson/Daniel Dafoe
    "The Pirates of Panama" by A.O. Exquemelin
    "History of the Buccaneers of America" by James Burney

But now I am looking for a good book on the general history of pirates (maybe something more modern analyzing the phenomenon historically), mainly focused on the Caribbean. I am looking at "Under the Black Flag" by David Cordingly for its pirate life information and maybe "History of Piracy" by David Gosse. I am looking for a book that examines the history of piracy in the Carribbean, its causes related to the Spanish empire, the consequences for history and for piracy elsewhere, etc. If anyone has any suggestions about the books I listed here or others, let me know.

Thanks.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Are you interested in novels as well, or just non-fiction?

3. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

Mainly non-fiction, but if there are some really good novels recommended, i wouldn't pass them up. :)

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nonfiction:

Raiders and Rebels: The Golden Age of Piracy by Frank Sherry.

Fiction:

The Sweet Trade by Elizabeth Garrett.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, while not strictly about pirates, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle is excellent. Edward Teach is one of the many characters in the trilogy. Oh, and sorry, but I just noticed you were looking for non-fiction.