"Best of Spock" Episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ssosmcin, Feb 27, 2015.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember this one! The one TJ Hooker episode I did see! It not only had Shatner and Leonard Nimoy together but it also had Randy Powell(Francis from Logan's Run tv series) as the killer!
    JB

2. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

You could be right. It felt more like an outer limits episode.

3. Ziriath

Ziriath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favourite Spock episode is Journey to Babel. He got a shitty end of the stick there and his suffering was well played in an unemotional way. I must say, I did not like his parents. And I think Spock should get some imaginary award for being a decent person despite being from this dysfunctional family. No wonder he feels ashamed for his human half, when (presumably) the only human he knew for years is his submissive mother....

4. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Lieutenant Red Shirt

Submissive? Let's see, she shares her husband and son's feud with her son's boss (Kirk after Sarek tells her to continue the tour without him), she ridicules Spock in front of his boss and peers (i.e. Sehlat memory). She weighs in and tells Spock that she will not allow him to risk his life to save Sarek's and later gives her boy a good scolding when he gets too big for his britches and bitchslaps him! Oh and she tells the two of them how sick she is of their logic! If anything, this ep helps to explain why Spock seems to enjoy sparring with McCoy over their ongoing human/vulcan debate...he reminds him of his mother! Maybe sparring with McCoy makes him feel like his mother is not so far away which is very important for a Mama's Boy like Spock!

5. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

True, Spock's mother was definitely NOT submissive.

6. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Lieutenant Red Shirt

In fairness, we are talking about "ugly" enough that one glance will render you insane forever. I always thought that the Medusans' "ugliness" was a metaphor for their great wisdom and highly advanced (more so than the Federation's as a whole) view of the universe. Perhaps assimilating that view is so challenging to non-Medusans that it creates an extreme mental confusion akin to insanity. Season 3 actually has some of the best truly sci-fi episodes (and less action adventure in space episodes).

7. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

How I understand it is that the Medusans are so ugly (to us) that even a glimpse of them would scare the sanity out of you. Which really seems what was happening to the guy and then Spock. Why would he yell otherwise?

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They use the word ugly, but the lightshow the Medusans produce as part of their physicality leads me to believe they would actually be quite beautiful, if the lightshow was one that didn't drive us insane.

9. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

The "lightshow" is obviously only a dim reflection of what is going on. According to legend you couldn't look directly at Medusa (the inspiration for the Medusans) without being turned to stone, supposedly because of the horror inspired by her aspect. However you could look indirectly at it and survive. We have no idea how the Medusans really look like since even catching a peripheral view of their bodies would drive you insane.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

A word like "disturbing" would have fit the situation better. "Ugly" just seemed simplistic and childish, especially used over and over again.

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it was the '60s, and TOS. The mythos was forming, and in a childlike state at that point, so simplistic terminology won out as descriptors of complex situations. We today see it as being much more than simply "they're ugly", but back then they didn't think their audience would accept a more enlightened term.

But to follow up on my previous comment, I've always felt the lightshow the Medusan manifested was something his own people found beautiful, but it was too much for non-Medusan perceptions to take in. Similar to how flashing lights can induce epileptic episodes.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were hammering on the word "ugly" in that ham-fisted way, because ugliness is the opposite of beauty, a word in the title. In many of the times it's used, the two are contrasted together.

13. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Yes. Throw out Galileo 7 and put in Devil In The Dark.

Dagger of the Mind had the first mindmeld...

14. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Wow, thanks for posting! I had never seen that.

Man, TJ Hooker was terrible.

15. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

I think Spock's personal record is when he melded with big ass V'ger! He never topped that!