Best DS9 season finale (excluding the series finale)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Tachyon, Feb 17, 2009.

?

The Best Season Finale is...

1. In the Hands of the Prophets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Jem'Hadar

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. The Adversary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Broken Link

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Call to Arms

34 vote(s)
    81.0%
  6. Tears of the Prophets

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What of the DS9 season finales made you wait the next season most?

Season 1- In the Hands of the Prophets?
    Season 2- The Jem'Hadar?
    Season 3- The Adversary?
    Season 4- Broken Link?
    Season 5- Call to Arms?
    Season 6- Tears of the Prophets?

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Call to Arms- The start of the Dominion War, Dukat kicking Arse, and DS9 lost to the enemy. The last 2-3 mins of the finale ( Dukat and Weyoun in Sisko's office with the baseball, The Defiant joining the massive Starfleet/Klingon Amanda) had me waiting in tense anticipation for the next three months.

An honorable mention goes to "By Infernos Light" for the brilliance of Dukat's performance!

3. Tachyon

I'm still on the fence myself. So I have to think about this more before voting.

4. Thor Damar

Yeah, they are all excellent finales but I'm a big Dukat fan so I went for the one without fruitcake Dukat in it.
    Tears of the prophets is my second choice, mostly because of the bunker scenes between Weyoun and Damar.

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has to be Call to Arms, it was the episode that got me into DS9 in a big way.

6. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've voted for a Call to Arms, but I was torn between that and The Adversary.

The Adversary didn't have any major battles, and for the most part was a run of the mill episode, but the final scene in the Ward Room always gives me a shiver. It's the point I think DS9 really set itself apart from the other Trek series.

7. Thor Damar

"He said 'it's too late, we're already here'"

8. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

The first image that popped into my head was Dukat standing in Sisko's office with the baseball. Very chilling, that!!

(And I love seeing him, during the episodes right after that, tossing the baseball around and otherwise acting like he owns the thing.)

9. Tachyon

Darn. I still cannot choose. I have a huge soft spot for early DS9, though. Perhaps I'll go with The Jem'Hadar. There's many elements in that episode I like.

10. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Gotta go with Call to Arms. I mean, evacuation of the Station to the Dominion is pretty major stuff.

However, I must say that The Jem'Hadar and The Adversary were great season finales...and are ranked right up there with my favorite Trek season endings as a whole.

That last line of The Adversary is probably one of the top season closing lines EVER in scifi. Terrifying.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A Call To Arms, although I must admit every season finale, with the exception of Tears of the Prophets, was pretty good. Can't get behind the odd bump of Jadzia's death, though, and the fire caves would know What You Leave Behind off the list, too, if it were included.

12. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going with the landslide majority on this one and naming "Call to Arms". An absolutely amazing cliffhanger which was like nothing I'd ever seen on Trek before. The evacuation of the station plus Sisko's speech AND the Dominion and the Cardassians retaking the station - chilling.

The other finales IMHO were all either worthwhile or even great but not quite on the same level.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ranking from favorite to not as favorite:

Call to Arms
    The Jem'Hadar
    In the Hands of the Prophets
    The Adversary
    Broken Link
    Tears of the Prophets

14. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Figured that Call to Arms would be way out ahead in this poll and that most people would vote for it. For that reason I'd be partial to vote for The Adversary because it really is a chilling closing line.

Then I go and read the reasons for a Call and you're reminded just how awesome it was. The speech, the station abandoned, Jake staying behind, Kira facing occupation and Dukat' regime again, Weyoun, the baseball in the office, the war that has come at last after so much build up.

And then there's the fleet that shocked the begeesus out of everybody - including the writers and producers because the FX guys had gone to town essentially throwing the gauntlet down and making the writers make it a big opener for season six. I mean that's fairly much a mega finale!

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Call to Arms, easily. I was so excited all summer to see what happened next season.

16. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

"Call to Arms"

One of the things I liked about DS9 was that it's finale's weren't cliffhangers per say, yet they definitely left you wanting more. Beyond that, "Call To Arms" was the only finale of the first 6 that really left me breathless. A lot of the finales gave new information or had a nice twist, or a bit of closure (especially Season 1), but "Call To Arms" was a huge payoff to multiple storythreads - and that final shot of the Defiant joining the fleet was just brilliant.

17. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Deep Space Nine had by far the best season finales of any Trek - the quasi-cliffhangers were far more exciting than TNG or VOY's because you knew that they weren't going to be resolved in a single episode but mattered in the long term. There isn't a bad one in the list, but if I had to choose it has to be Call To Arms.

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Call To Arms, for sure. It was such an unbearable wait between it and A Time To Stand For Me. Best Trek finale since BOBW in my opinion.

DS9 had the best Trek season enders, although Best of Both Worlds and Scorpion were pretty awesome too.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

A Call to Arms with Tears of the Prophets a close second.

(Not that the poll would show it :D)

20. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to say the Jem'Hadar for me, but it was oh so close. It just set the mood right for the Dominion, which in my mind means this episode had about a good 5 years of impact. You can't say that about a lot of episodes. It's also the finale that, once and for all in my mind, forever made DS9 separate from TNG. Just the way the story was told was itself vastly different from TNG.

However, a very honorable mention goes to Call to Arms. Echoing the sentiment from above, there really is no other Trek show that could pull off the menacing, threatening, ominous visual of the broken and shattered DS9, taken over by the equally visually impressive Dominion forces.