Best cover art

E-DUB

Commodore
Commodore
We all come into this thread and discuss the merits of Trek Lit. But I don't remember any discussions of cover art. You may not be able to judge a book by its cover but, dang it, you can judge the cover. So do it. I'll come back later and give you my choice.

I like Cross Cult's covers as a rule. I can't pick just one of the covers as a favorite, though. They even chose novel-only characters for their covers. In this case it is a well-known character - The Doctor.

voy-dfc615b9.jpg

I like Cross Cult's covers as a rule. I can't pick just one of the covers as a favorite, though. They even chose novel-only characters for their covers. In this case it is a well-known character - The Doctor.

voy-dfc615b9.jpg
I love more pics of the Cross Cult Voyager. I know there was supposed to be a US novelverse one made but the guy never finished it IIRC.

My favorite cover, at least for the moment is from the "Constellations" anthology.
The speeding ship, the star background, the transporter effect and the three figures in such deep shadow that you can't even make out their faces, but know instantly who they are. Very well done.
81zoOzqYqjL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Not cover exclusive, but it’s gotta be the TMO adaptation. Or the James Blish stuff. First Frontier with regards to dinosaurs. Where’s the Trek cover with gorillas on it?

the-poisoned-chalice.jpg

"Star Trek: The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice" by: Tobias Richter has long been my favorite cover for long form books. IDW has had some real bangers lately, my most favorite of recent covers was the amazing travel guide one for "Star Trek: Picard's Academy #6" by Aaron Harvey that reminds me so much of the classic travel posters for national state parks or the amazing travel posters that NASA put out recently:

STL303225.jpg

Oh, and Trek's best cover art is the old James Blish adaptations. Nothing else comes close, IMHO.

Except the Japanese "Spock Must Die!" for it's unique Enterprise and German "Mission to Horatius"

I read an interesting observation about cover art and one reason for a recent change in style. These days, most SF novels are chosen as eBooks or audio downloads from online digital catalogue thumbnails, so they need to catch the eye differently than actual covers on "New Release" shelves.

I have lots of favourite Trek covers.

"Mudd's Enterprise"
by Ian McLean, on Flickr

This Bantam Spectra reprint of "Mudd's Angels" (as "Mudd's Enterprise") came out in October 1994, complementing the three chunky season-by-season 20th anniversary omnibuses of James Blish's TOS episode adaptations that were published in 1991, but which did not include the two Mudd episodes. Yes, I am a completionist.

Aholialili Sato on an IDW comic
by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Ensign Janos the Mugato in in Cross Cult's "New Frontier"
by Ian McLean, on Flickr

"The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing"
by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I own the Tellarite Ambassador's screen-used costume that featured on this novel!

I love more pics of the Cross Cult Voyager. I know there was supposed to be a US novelverse one made but the guy never finished it IIRC.

Mark Rademaker, a fellow Dutchman. Yeah, his initial start was promising, but with that line of novels now gone, I doubt we will ever see it.
Atleast he gave us the Vesta class and the Merian class.

Sorry for the double post.... I actually reached out to Mark Rademaker and he said that it is one of four ships that he hopes to finish at some point. He's extremely busy with both his dayjob and his 3D work. But considering his skills, I have no doubt that when we get to see his work on the Voyager Refit, it will be awesome. I personally think that the Vesta is one of the best fandesigns ever.

Your own avatar is a beautiful cover. It'd be wonderful as a print. Same for many books, particularly the Vanguard series
While the cover to Articles of the Federation is lovely, it's also not that great as a book cover. Looking back, the cover should've been a bit more Star Trek-ish, and also had Spock's face on the cover. If nothing else, it would've sold better.........

the-poisoned-chalice.jpg

"Star Trek: The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice" by: Tobias Richter has long been my favorite cover for long form books. IDW has had some real bangers lately, my most favorite of recent covers was the amazing travel guide one for "Star Trek: Picard's Academy #6" by Aaron Harvey that reminds me so much of the classic travel posters for national state parks or the amazing travel posters that NASA put out recently:

STL303225.jpg
Thank you! Yes, I was going for the WPA travel poster look! And I think the NASA ones were referencing that era as well. I am glad you liked it!

Back