Best Buy has B5 seasons on sale for $20!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nobody, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

I was gonna lead off with a Best Buy living up to their name pun, but I like to think I have integrity. Regardless, they have all 5 seasons of Babylon 5 on sale for 20 bucks each. Not having any of the boxsets, I picked up all 5 for 100 bucks. Freakin' awesome. They have a bunch of other TV shows on sale as well, but none I really cared about. A humorous bit of useless information, but the Lost Tale DVD's were $23, sitting next to the boxsets on sale for $20. Never thought I'd see that.

Anyway, B5 fans who have been on the border of shelling out the money for the boxsets, go get'em now. I'm totally excited about this, I love being a geek. :)

-nobody

2. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yep, that's a good deal. They have run similar sales in the past ($20-$25 per season), and that's when I picked up the season sets I was missing.

3. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

The Babylon 5 season sets have been periodically going on sale for $20-25 over the past year or so fairly often and not just from Best Buy, but from Wal-Mart (this one I haven't noticed for a while) and Amazon too.

Pure conjecture... But, could this be a sign that Warner Bros wants to clear out the inventory to perhaps re-release it?

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If anyone hasn't seen B5, now's the chance to buy the best TV ever made! :D

I got all mine last summer when they went on sale, ironically mere WEEKS after I had just finished watching the entire run with my fiancee who was seeing it for the first time on my ratty VHS tapes!

5. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Picked up all 5 about a year and half ago at $15/per season. Still haven't gotten beyond the middle of season 2 for a re-watch, but that's the beauty of owning them at a low price...I can watch 'em whenever. :)

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I picked up season 1, 3, 4, and 5 today, as backups to my existing set. I probably play this disk more often than I do any other.

Pilot Ace ... intriguing. To what purpose would they re-release it?

7. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubtful. TV shows rarely get double dips.
    It's more likely these are just loss leaders for Best Buy, there were a lot of other TV shows on sale also. They want to get people in the store to pick these up for Christmas gifts and to get people in the store to spend their Christmas money.

8. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

That's a pretty good deal. Too bad I'm a hardcore fan; I spent my top dollars on those a long time ago.

9. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Perhaps fixing the framing problems? That's the most pressing problem of the release.

I can't really say though. Maybe slim packs?

This is continually happening on Amazon too though, which is what made me start running with it.

10. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

The framing issue? I suppose you mean the CG and composited work only being available in 4:3 aspect ratio? - That won't be fixed. The sources don't exist anymore.

The only way that this would be fixed is if they did a "remastered TOS"-like effort and redid all the CG. And unless B5 gets as popular as Star Trek in a few years, the chances for that are very slim. Sadly. It just costs too much to do it. Redoing the CG-only scenes is probably the easy part - but all the composited shots with live action and effects would have to be redone as well.

I think the sale is just Best Buy and others trying to sell their stock. I doubt a new edition is coming. B5 had a good run on DVD, and as typically happens, eventually all DVD's end up in the bargain bin. (relatively speaking)

I'd love to be proven wrong. :cool: A "remastered B5" blu-ray would certainly be high on my wish list. :techman: At least the theoretical *potential* exists for B5 - since it was shot on film. (unlike ST:TNG which will *never* see a hi-def release since it was shot on video)

11. Neroon

Ditto. If ever there was a remastered or improved version, I'd snap it right up. Heaven knwos there are areas where there's an annoying graininess or blur. However, as I think has been mentioend before by people far more knowledgeable, I am pretty sure there were technical reasons why that couldn't be done. Something about the original source material not being archived properly. :confuised:

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I want a version with commentary on each episode.

Hey, while we're dreaming...<g>

Jan

13. Neroon

I suppose we could record our OWN commentaries.

14. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Actually, you can sell such commentaries on RiffTrax and make a few bucks from them (provided you don't include any ACTUAL audio from the original program...they ONLY want your riffs). :)

15. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a pretty sweet deal. This is one of the times I don't mind, since I picked up all the seasons quite a while ago and every single one of them is completely worth it.

Matter of fact, I've got a hankering for another run-through of the series now...

16. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

Is the B-5 movie collection on sale too? That is all that I need, having scooped the seasons up on previous sales. Considering the batting average of the TV movies they should be the first to go on sale!

17. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

They're still selling for (I think) $47. Seems that that set never goes on sale with the rest.

Jan

18. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm constantly in awe that B5 hasn't received a complete series box set like virtually every other TV show already out on DVD. Include all 5 seasons, the movies, Crusade and Lost Tales and I'd be all in.

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

It has...in other regions than the US.

Jan

20. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I still need the television movies set (well, I have the original DVD release of The Gathering/In the Beginning), Legend of the Rangers and Crusade (if I can get my hands on it, I'd want one of the ones with JMS's commentary on it tbat were evidently pulled).