Best Blade Runner Cut

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by crookeddy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the new movie out and a lot of people rewatching/finally getting to watching the original, which cut would you recommend? I would go with final cut, simply because I like to see the director's vision and Scott himself has said that this is his favorite cut.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

There are five cuts to choose from, and every one of them is right. :adore: Even the theatrical cut, with its' tacked-on 'happy ending,' isn't in any way contradicted by the sequel.

That said, of the five I've also got to go with the Final Cut. It's the most polished visually and sound-wise, with mistakes in the other cuts corrected. They didn't have a voice-over in the sequel, so the Final Cut fits better there too.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If the point is to recommend a version for someone with no strong preference of their own, I also vote for The Final Cut.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I personally much prefer The Final Cut over all of the others, although the work print is interesting to watch from an uber fan's perspective.

5. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Captain Captain

Same here, I have the Final Cut on DVD preferring that version over the others.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Just rewatched The Final Cut in preparation for the new one. I know Ridley Scott says Deckard is a replicant but I'm afraid I don't see it. I can imagine all sorts of ways where he could be, but nothing I saw compels me toward that conclusion. :shrug:

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There are definitely several reasons to think that he is, but for me, "Maybe" is the strongest the suggestion should ever be.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read "Best Blade Runner Cat" and clicked. Very disappointed.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say just making it possible and at least somewhat plausible is compelling. Making the audience ask the question and not being offered an easy conclusion. Does it change the story for you if he is or isn't? What does that say about you?

The Nth Doctor and Tosk like this.
  10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Until Scott started asserting it, I never even considered the possibility--nor have I seen anything in any of the four cuts I've watched (haven't seen the workprint cut), despite efforts to find such clues. It's only my interpretation, of course, but after a combined dozen viewings, I guess I remain in the "no" camp. However, I'm not inclined to try to persuade others of my point of view on this one.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The super mega major hint was his unicorn dream and then finding the paper unicorn...

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

There isn't a perfect cut, but the Final Cut is as close to it as possible. Just remove that stupid Unicorn dream and it is perfect.

Ovation likes this.
  13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Ah. Of my dozen viewings, only two have been the Final Cut, so I guess that moment isn't etched into my overall appreciation of the film. I suppose if that was the first version I'd seen, I'd be somewhat more inclined to consider the possibility.

Of course, I don't see how it enhances the story--I find a human Deckard reaching sympathy for a replicant more satisfying than having him be one too. But, to each his own.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole point (in my mind) is that it makes no difference. Is he a human rediscovering his humanity or is he a replicant who believes he is a human finding his humanity? A difference that makes no difference.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But don't you need the Unicorn dream for the origami unicorn at the end to make sense?

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

No, if you remove the dream sequence then it still makes sense as letting Deckard know Gaff was there and let him go.

J.T.B. and Ovation like this.
  17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Without the dream, the unicorn is still there to clue Deckard in on the fact that Gaff had been there and let Rachael live.

Edit: Ninja'd! :)

J.T.B. likes this.