Best Battle in DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by FanST, Jul 25, 2020.

1. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As well as being a great show, DS9 had arguably the best battle scenes of Star Trek.

Whether a space battle, hand to hand combat, or a combination of both, what was the best battle in your opinion?

I have many favorites, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the Klingons attacking DS9 in The Way of the Warrior. I found it to be very well done (graphics, special effects and music). Gowron threatening Sisko and Sisko's replies were awesome. Seeing the station's new defense systems for the first time and its ability to defend itself from a massive attack sent chills down my spine!

publiusr likes this.
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Worf confronting and defeating Gowron. :klingon:

FanST likes this.
  3. the one where worf are guiding quark's bat'leth movements:lol:

DonIago, kkt, Kilana2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Possessed Kira and Jake idly standing around shooting beams at each other.

Just kidding XD

5. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

Space it’s a definite tie between Sacrifice of Angels and Way of the Warrior.

As far as hand to hand, Worf defeating Gowron was a good one, but hand to hand combat has always been a bit awkward in Star Trek and admittedly never looks great considering the advances in quality in TV Since.

I watch DS9 for the story and the characters, definitely not for the fight choreography.

John Clark and FanST like this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Kira vs door chime in Favor the Bold.
    Runner up: pregnant Kira vs Bajoran guard in The Darkness and the Light.

Bry_Sinclair, kkt and FanST like this.
  7. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought the entire opening sequence of Sacrifice of Angels was great. The 2 fleets facing each other ... the tense atmosphere on the bridge, Nog being nervous, O' Brien telling Nog he should just concentrate on his job, Bashir's deadpan "you should listen to him, Ensign, he's a professional" and o' Brien's brief grin, the Tennyson poem, and Sisko being as imperturbable as a block of ice saying "Forget the Klingons. Our job is to get to Deep Space Nine and prevent the Dominion reinforcements from coming through the wormhole, and that's what we're going to do" in the last few moments before all hell breaks loose perfectly sets the atmosphere and enhances the awesome CGI fight that follows even more.

Farscape One and FanST like this.
  8. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

"Siege of AR-558"

Bad Thoughts, Kilana2 and FanST like this.
  9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Way of the Warrior, Call to Arms, and Sacrifice of Angels are my favorite space battles

In terms of hand to hand, Siege of AR-558 was a great one, but also Nor the Battle to the Strong was really effective, mainly because we were looking at it from Jake's point of view.

FanST, kkt, USS Firefly and 2 others like this.
  10. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

For space battles, there are 4 that pop in mind immediately... "THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR", "SHATTERED MIRROR", "CALL TO ARMS", and "SACRIFICE OF ANGELS".

For hand to hand, my favorites were "THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR" and "TO THE DEATH".

FanST likes this.
  11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Hand-to-Hand: (tie) Kira wiping the floor with Damar (she shows just how effective she is in taking him out and he doesn't stand a chance) or Kira taking out several security guards heavily pregnant (her sheer determination to get to some of those she is close too, letting nothing stand in her way).
    Phaser Fight: Holding AR-558 (this is just brutal, though one of my favourite segments is Quark saving Nog).
    Space Battle: First encounter with the Jem'Hadar (we see just how deadly the soldiers of the Dominion are and how they'll do anything to claim victory).

12. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's probably the First Battle of DS9 from Way of the warrior and the first battle with the Jem'Hadar for me.

When I saw the battle to retake DS9 back when i was 15 or 16 it was the best thing ever. However, now I just find all the ships doing nothing in background really distracting. So apart from the two Galaxy class ships pummeling the Cardassian warship, i don't really rate it.

FanST likes this.
  13. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

I loved A Call to Arms... Dukat's very soft, subtle command to 'fire'. All that build up, and then the command to begin the shooting, indeed the war, is uttered so pensively.

Sacrifice of Angels... with that little nod to Lord Alfred Tennyson's famous Charge of the Light Brigade... the do-or-die charge into a fleet twice the size. Wow.

Valiant. That crazy attack on a battleship far bigger and more powerful, the insanity of the crew of cadets, and the subsequent destruction.

The Changing Face of Evil was gutting, for we had to say goodbye to the original Defiant. I loved that ship.

kkt, Bry_Sinclair, tomalak301 and 2 others like this.
  14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

The mirror Defiant vs the Alliance ships in Shattered Mirror.

15. Farscape One

The destruction of the Defiant... that truly hurt on first watch. My jaw dropped fully when it first aired. It still stings on every rewatch, every time.

It's the only time the hero starship of any STAR TREK series is permanently destroyed in the same show.

I loved that ship...

16. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

She was an immense, tough little ship that proved her worth over and over again.

FanST and Farscape One like this.
  17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact the Defiant survived so many battles against the Klingons, Dominion and even the Borg just shows immediately how dangerous the Breen were. I love the fact that we still know next to nothing about them, makes them all the creepier.

kkt, FanST and Farscape One like this.
  18. Farscape One

That's precisely why the producers destroyed her... they wanted the audience to see how deadly the Breen were.

And it worked.

kkt, FanST and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  19. mike2363

mike2363 Ensign Red Shirt

Sacrifice of Angels (S6E6) for me - watched it today. Amazing final battle and build up. Victory meant everything. Emotional ride.

kkt and FanST like this.
  20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Excellent choices!

I like the two Chin'toka battles. The weapon platforms were really cool. I got the Hero Collector model recently and love it.

kkt and FanST like this.