Beloved episodes you hate/Reviled episodes you love

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Qonundrum, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I really enjoy the second half of season 1, most of which takes a lot of heat from some fans. "Too Short A Season", "Datalore", "Symbiosis", "Skin of Evil", "We'll Always Have Paris", "The Neutral Zone"...these are some of my favorite episodes. Polished TOS with an 80's flair.

Sarxus likes this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate: Conspiracy

I love: Cause and Effect

4. Armus

You hate Conspiracy? Picard and Riker blow up a man's head and save the Federation from intelligent lobsters! ;)

Verteron and Vger23 like this.
  5. Kilana2

This scene was removed by German authorities.....:D :devil:

6. Armus

That's terrible...that's the crescendo of the episode!

Verteron and Spocko like this.
  7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that one reviled? I think it's just marvelous

As much flack as Homeward gets for its ridiculous PD issue, I actually like it quite a lot for viewing pleasure. It's loaded with tremendous performances. Penny Gerald Johnson, Paul Sorvino. Some interesting Worf back story, & Dorn without the head piece. It's a lot of fun

I don't hate all that many episodes, but the ones I do, are often called out for it, so there's none where my loathing is the minority opinion

8. Kilana2

This is the problem: you can always watch ugly scenes on YouTube etc.
    And this scene isn't worth a like. Sorry.:D

9. Armus

I really enjoy "Up The Long Ladder" which Ron Moore has gone out of his way to denigrate. The scenes with the clones were really creepy, especially that moment when Riker and Pulaski realize that they may have been cloned.

10. Kilana2

Cause and Effect has constantly repeating scenes. On the other hand it might not be as reviled as Shades of Grey (The German edition of Shades of Grey includes Remmick's head scene.....:eek:)

11. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I love Masks and I mean LOVE! It's so trippy and weird. I also love Okona. It amuses me.

I find that other than Farpoint and Best Of Both Worlds, I can't watch the other two-parters anymore. I find them boring for some reason.

Farscape One and Kilana2 like this.
  12. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"Masks" is actually one of my favorite TNG episodes. I LOVE mythology, and it had great performances by Brent Spiner. It's a great gem written by Joe Menosky, who is one of my favorite STAR TREK franchise writers.

Unicorn likes this.
  13. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I fucking love "Sub Rosa", "Genesis", "The Last Outpost", and "Angel One." Cannot get enough of them, I've seen each of these a truly embarrassing number of times. Of course, I enjoy them all as unintentional comedy...

In terms of reviled episodes that I enjoy as the drama they're supposed to be, "Skin Of Evil." People seem to hate that one and it really works on me. I feel like this episode taught me serious things about death as a kid. I still find Armus a frightening character. It gets me still.

Arpy and PhotoBoy like this.
  14. Farscape One

I think "Skin Of Evil" does get unnecessary hate, probably due to the death of Yar. I always looked at that in two ways... first, for all intents and purposes, she was a redshirt, meaning security officer who gets killed just because. And being head of security, it seemed fitting that would happen. And she did die trying to save her comrades. Second, in real life, heroes get killed in seconds, with no meaning. It is a cold fact of life, and I thought it gave the episode a touch of realism among a rather outlandish villain concept, even though the idea of Armus is a good one.

And the holographic scene was really good... I rewatched it not too long ago, and a single man tear was the result, particularly at the end with Data.

Armus and Seven of Five like this.
  15. Armus

^^Patrick Stewart talked philosophy and poetry to a black tar monster, and he made it believable. What's not to love?

Arpy likes this.
  16. Farscape One

Sir Patrick Stewart can read a phone book, and it will be enthralling.

Nakita Akita and Seven of Five like this.
  17. Spirit of 73

Spirit of 73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There are no beloved episodes I hate, but I do think Elementary, Dear Data; Sarek; Darmok; The Inner Light and A Fistful of Datas are overrated. Actually, I hate A Fistful of Datas, although I don't know if that quite reaches the level of beloved.

There aren't any hated episodes I love, either, but I do enjoy Captain's Holiday more than most, and I think Remember Me is considerably better than it's score on IMDB. I also think Genesis is probably the most underrated TNG episode of the entire series.

Verteron likes this.
  18. Armus

^Genesis was very cool, and very spooky. Picard gets more cowardly while Worf gets more savage. The makeup on that show was pretty amazing.

Spirit of 73 and Spocko like this.
  19. Marlonius

Marlonius Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hate Darmok, though I have to admit that now as everyone talks in memes that it starts to seem plausible. However I hate that too.

I don't love Code of Honor, but I think it's okay, which places me several standard deviations away from the consensus.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  20. Armus

I understand why many people are offended by Code of Honor. I don't think there was any intent to offend when it produced. I can watch it and enjoy it as pure camp. And it does contain a strong moral message.

Spirit of 73 likes this.