bees in our chimney

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Rÿcher, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

my wife snores so I sleep on the couch. Pretty comfy actually. Anyway, I thought I heard a fly buzzing around and we keep a pretty clean house so I thought, "what the hell?" I got up to determine it's source and it's coming from the chimney. It sounds like a good many of them in there.

Thoughts on getting rid of them without breaking the bank and not blowing up the house?

There's a metal access cover where a wood stove used to be that I'm guessing I can pry off and spray the good anti-bee stuff in there with the furnace off. Guess I'll have to call the oil company to come shut off the furnace and put out the pilot light or maybe that's something I can do or with the help of someone handy.

I guess I should check the flammability of the anti-bee stuff first before I turn back on the furnace, huh before I go blowing the house up? Or maybe I can take a long stove match to it first to burn it away before I re-ignite the furnace?

my guess is they're the black mud or paper wasps because we found one buzzing around the bedroom the other night.

sigh. bats, mice and now wasps.

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Call a chimney sweep?

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If you're lucky, Holdfast will have a number for these guys:
    [​IMG]

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Call an exterminator.

This reminds me of the time my Uncle Mike heard a mechanical buzzing sound in his dining room. At first he couldn't find it, then it seemed to be coming from the wall. When he put his ear to the wall, it was actually warm to the touch. Turns out there was a gigantic beehive inside the wall-- and I mean gigantic. :cardie:

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Are you sure it's bees and not wasps/hornets? I've never heard of bees building nests inside people's houses.

But yeah, get a professional.

6. RJDiogenes

In my uncle's house, they were definitely bees. A real estate agent who lives near my mother once took some clients to see a vacant house; they wanted to see the attic and they found that the place was a huge hive. Kind of sounds like a Stephen King story. :D

7. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

^ I was just going to say that the thread title sounds like the title of a children's book. :lol:

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn Rÿcher. Bees in the walls, water in the basement. Sounds like life is sucking for you man!

Might be best to call a professional. Just make sure they're wasps or hornets and not honeybees before they start spraying. We need all the bees we can get!

If by chance it does turn out to be bees, cheek the phonebook and see if there are any beekeepers in town. They'd probably be happy to come collect them from you.

9. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just going to say, he's got a busy weekend ahead of him.

What I would do, is block off my fireplace with plastic--and I mean duct tape every possible hole into your house--then bomb the chimney with one of those wasp/bee-bomb things: let them fly out the chiniy all pissed off and near death, away from my house, then out with the shop vac to clean up the mess.

Though of course you may have 20 million bees in the walls of your home and I will don't want to see on the news tonight "Man dies from trying to kill bee nest, should have called exterminator."

10. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd smoke another bowl and say, Fuck it. :p

Acually, I wouldn't. I've spent thousands of dollars and too many hours getting a dry basement back.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Problem solved :p

12. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

dirty deeds done dirt cheep?

high voltage!

13. RJDiogenes

14. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    I have a really cheap solution for you....

Bees HATE smoke. So, smoke em out. Start a small fire and get the smoke billowing out and they will fly away from it. Plus the hot smoke should kill off the nest.

Just my opinion.

15. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

that would work assuming it's a real wood-burning chimney and not a gas log. Just make sure you burn actual wood and not lumber because lumber (esp pressure treated) has chemicals that can deposit on the inside of the chimney and eventually the inside of your chimney could catch on fire!

16. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

^ On the other hand, I hear creosote is good on toast. Just sayin'.