BATTLESTAR URANTIA - nuBSG FanFilm Series

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by BolianAuthor, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

The "Battlestar Urantia" film project.

By: BolianAdmiral

I want to post this to formally announce that I am seeking to assemble a volunteer team for a "Battlestar Urantia" film project. Allow me to provide a short description of what our project goals are, and what we are looking for.

First of all, if you have read my "Battlestar Urantia" story in the Fan Fiction section, you know that I made it a point to try extremely hard to ensure that the "feel" and pacing of the story was identical to that of the actual nuBSG TV series. I wanted to fool the mind's eye of the reader into actually visualizing the nuBSG universe, when reading the story. To that end, I intend for the film version of BSG Urantia to be visually identical to the visual look of nuBSG, in every regard. As a writer, I settle for no less than the best possible, and the same will go for the film product I put out.

Second, this is a VOLUNTEER effort... there is no payment currently being offered. However, you should know that I already have a CGI artist on the team, as a volunteer, whose CGI work is equal to or beyond the level of quality we saw on the nuBSG TV series. He is from the Sci Fi Meshes website, and his username is nilianth, and below is a sample of his work. He is currently studying in France, and hopes to soon intern at ZOIC studios.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have my good friend Atolm on board, who is also from the Sci Fi Meshes website, and is developing all the original Cylon concepts for the production. He is also helping me with the "Shades of Gray" project. Below is a sample of his work.

[​IMG]

I am not asking anyone to sign up for this and do hard work because they expect to make money. I AM asking that you sign up for this because you truly love the nuBSG universe, and want to help continue the story, and contribute to that effort, and feel passionately about participating in something truly special... creating a fan production that is of such high caliber, that it is indistinguishable from the original TV version. I want you to do this out of love for BSG, and for the fun of the experience. If all you want is money, do not bother to apply. However, you should know that even without monetary payment, if you truly do outstanding work here, it will no doubt be work that you can include on your demo reels, that people who CAN hire you will see. It will be something you can be proud of.

I also have musical talent lined up. In addition to using bits of Bear McCreary's BSG music throughout the series, I intend to hire the Celtic folk group Blackthorn to provide some additional original music for the series. Below is a link to their website, for more information on them.

http://www.blackthornband.com/pages/recordings.php

It is my hope that at some midway point, I can provide a small "demo" of the BSG Urantia film that I can show to three people, to hopefully garner not money, but word-of-mouth support for the project, which would lead to more people joining the effort. Among the people I would like to send a sample to, are Ronald D. Moore, and Edward James Olmos. Again, not so much to get their blessing, or participation, but to show them what we have done, and the high standard of quality in which we have done it... to show them what a set of truly passionate fans can do, to continue the legacy of nuBSG, and hopefully, generate word-of-mouth and publicity... not money. So... below is what we need now, as of this point in time...

- Set Designers/Builders

- Propmakers

- Costume Designers/Makers

- Camera Operators

- Sound

- Additional VFX Artists

- Editors

- Lighting

- Acting and Extras

If anyone wishes to help, and join the "Battlestar Urantia" team, please PM me, or contact me on AIM, by sending me an IM. I am writing and directing the film, and I am seeking age-appropriate acting talent, so that means no young kids... I need people whose age fits their roles. Again, this will be a revolutionary and high-quality product, and though I am seeking the best, the end result will create a product that all involved can be incredibly proud of. Thank you.

- BolianAdmiral

2. BolianAuthor

We've added CmdrKerner to our team, as a Propmaker. I am also meeting with an actress in March, whom I hope will assume the role of Tina Standish. I'll keep you posted on that.

3. BolianAuthor

We've just added Macker as a Sound/Sound FX Editor. More announcements to come!

4. BolianAuthor

I am pleased to announce that we now have an official maker/supplier of all BSG Urantia Colonial uniforms, as well as an official maker/supplier of all BSG Urantia Colonial flags/banners, as well as the flags/banners of the Emilon and Omiron colonies!

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is the main hub of production and/or the shoot going to be located?

6. BolianAuthor

^

I am hoping that I can secure a location where we can do all the on-set shooting... I am currently still looking into that.

However, there will be some location shooting done at a house in the Palos Verdes Penninsula area of Los Angeles, because the location house boasts a great view of Catalina Island, because Catalina looks very similar to the island seen from Baltar and Daniel's houses.

7. BolianAuthor

Okay... THIS is big... really big news...

I sent an email to Kat Williamson, so actually worked on BSG as a VFX supervisor from seasons 2 to 3, asking if he'd be at all interested in helping out with the project, by joining the team. I fully expected him to trash the email without giving it a second thought, and I'd never hear back. But... he replied, and he is ON THE TEAM!!!

We actually have someone who worked on nuBSG itself, on our team! C'mon, folks... this is it... we're rolling now. With people as talented as this on board, we are SURE to produce a product of genuine high quality!

8. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Congratulations... that's awesome.

9. BolianAuthor

^

Thank you! I am still beside myself with shock and grattitude that he even looked at my email, let alone agree to help me! Just in the last 24 hours, we've had more people join up because of his help... this was what we really needed, to get this ball rolling... to have someone who actually worked on nuBSG itself on the team!

BTW, if anyonwe doesn't believe me, here is the link to the Urantia thread on Kat's web forum...

http://www.battlestarvfx.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Wish I was in your neck of the woods, I'd have loved to audition for this.

11. BolianAuthor

^

You may indeed still be very much able to help us, BECAUSE of your location... I will be sending you a PM tonight. :)

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Oh, intrigued now. :)

13. BolianAuthor

^

Aye... PM sent. :)

Okay, we have our first official ship for Urantia's ragtag fleet... a beautiful ringship that we're calling the Star of Picon. She's an Intersun luxury liner. A pic will be posted later.

14. BolianAuthor

Here she is... the Star of Picon. Image courtesy of Marshall Huffman, and the Battlestar Urantia production group.

[​IMG]

15. BolianAuthor

Here is the first "screen test" shot of one of Urantia's Mk. II Vipers, still in its "Starblazers" performance air group colors, flying alongside another Mk. II in traditional colors.

[​IMG]

The Viper was modeled, textured, and rendered by Joe McMullen, of the "Battlestar Urantia" production team.

16. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, you jumped on making that official fast enough. :lol:

(We do keep the rights to the design, of course... :shifty:)

17. BolianAuthor

Of course... I never claimed otherwise. :D

18. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This looks like its going to be amazing. Any dates for productions or release?

19. BolianAuthor

^

Thank you. :)

No definitive date as of yet. What we are doing now, basically, is breaking elements of the script down so that our VFX team can throw together a "demo reel" of VFX shots of the Urantia and her fleet, so that we have something viable to show people, to entice them to join our team, and to also generate more support and publicity. These Vipers will be in the scenes, as will a lot of the same ship types from Galactica's ragtag fleet, although we have a few original RTF ship designs of our own, too. :)

While this is being posted, the CGI model of the Battlestar Urantia herself is being built.

20. BolianAuthor

Here is a new image... a quick test of our CGI hangar bay, complete with Vipers and a Raptor.

[​IMG]

Image modeled and rendered by "Kat" Myers, of the Battlestar Urantia production team.