Spoilers Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders: '66-style animated movie featuring West, Ward, Newman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar will be returning to their iconic roles from the 1966-1968 Batman live action TV series, in the new animated film Batman: Return of The Caped Crusaders coming to digital HD Oct. 11 and Blu-Ray Nov. 1. The movie is based on the TV series and will also feature Penguin, Riddler, and Joker.
    EW article with teaser. Just to warn you the teaser does not reveal any plot details, but it is still fun.
    Gah, could a mod please fix the typos in the title.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... Might be fun for the nostalgia, but I'm getting a little tired of WB Animation's visual style. Aside from the costume designs, this didn't look too different from a Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode (although maybe that's appropriate, since that show was heavily influenced by Batman '66 and the Silver Age comics that inspired it). And the changes in the actors' voices are going to be off-putting, though maybe we'll get used to it after a bit. (Ward actually doesn't sound much different as Robin than he did in the 1977 Filmation cartoon.)

I wonder who they'll get to play Joker, Penguin, and Riddler, not to mention Alfred, Gordon, O'Hara, and Aunt Harriet, assuming they're present too. I wouldn't be surprised if Corey Burton or James Arnold Taylor did at least one of those voices. But hey, it occurs to me that John Astin is still with us...

Hm, I wonder if Batgirl will be in it. I bet Grey DeLisle could do a decent Yvonne Craig impression.

3. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

La La Land Records said today they will be releasing hte score, which they said was "BLEEPIN awesome". No statement yet on how the composer or composers are.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like a lot of fun. Just the teaser brought back fond memories of 1966, and my Batman-obsessed grandson will love it.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That teaser was cool. I find the 66 show to be goofy fun, and this looks like it will be entertaining. I'm hoping it keeps the tone of the show, but do more impressive over the top stuff because they don't have the same kind of limitations/restrictions a live action show has. I hope we get some of the classic Bat-tropes, like the walk up the wall complete with a celebrity guest in the window. Anyway, after the DC Animated Movie year began ok-ish with Batman: Bad Blood, went up with the very good with the JL vs Teen Titans movie and then kind of went down with the disappointing Killing Joke movie I'm hoping it will end well with this.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they add inappropriate sex scenes, brutal fight sequences, blood, Harley Quinn and swearing because... $$.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh that looks like it could be a lot of fun!

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the teaser and it looks fun but those old voices sound odd coming from those drawings of the characters.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am guessing that animation is a scene in the movie. But that dialogue and the cover was added just for this teaser. I doubt they would have created this whole scene for a quick teaser. Plus their voices do not really fit the characters movements.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

In recent years WB built new Looney Tunes shorts around songs Mel Blanc recorded decades ago as the characters. Stuff that never appeared in cartoons when he was alive.

Well back during the height of the success of the 60s tv show Frank Gorshin recorded a Riddler song. Might be tricker to do for a full length movie. But the Riddler is only one of the villains in this. It would be great if he was a posthumously involved some how even if some other voice actor did a impression for the rest of his lines.

11. Christopher

I saw a post on Facebook saying that Wally Wingert would be in the cast, though it didn't say who he was playing. He's played the Riddler in the Arkham video games, for what it's worth, although I doubt that version sounds like Gorshin. But his voice is similar to Gorshin's, from what I recall. (I mainly know him as the voice of Hank Pym from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.) So he might be the Riddler, or he might be some other character -- maybe even the narrator.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wingert's Riddler in the Arkham games is great, I'm glad they're bringing him back for this. I think he'll do a good job here.

13. Christopher

^Again, they didn't specify who Wingert would be playing. We don't know if it'll be the Riddler. I just wanted to be clear about that. Although judging from that clip, I'd say he could probably do at least a decent Gorshin impression.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I missed the part where you said it didn't specify who he was playing. I was thinking they should really have fun with it, and bring back people from other adaptations. Hamill as Joker, Wingert as Riddler, although I'm not sure who I'd want for Penguin.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I betcha Billy West does a spot on Burgess Meredith.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much would it screw with people's heads to hear Hamill's Joker coming out from a version of the character that looked like Ceasar Romero? :guffaw:

17. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

And in Space...Not sure about that part.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Better, sir?

19. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Newmar

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

They've actually cast Wayne Knight to voice Catwoman, so the Newman name is correct.

:p

dahj likes this.