B5 and a father's epiphany

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

The other night my daughter and I were watching "Messages From Earth". During the scene where Sheridan goes to take a nap, we hear Delenn give her well-known line: "Sleep. I will watch and catch you if you should fall." I commented that it's interesting how when Sheridan fell at Z'ha'dum it was Lorien who caught him, and not Delenn. My brilliant little 13 yrd old girl says, "But after that Lorien asked Sheridan 'It's easy to find something worth dieing for. Do you have anything worth living for?' and Sheridan's last thought is of Delenn."

She was right. Delenn was as good as her word. In a real sense, she was there to catch Sheridan. Heck, even Sheridan himself confirms that in "Falling Toward Apotheosis".

I love watching these with my daughter!!! :adore:

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Didn't they flashback to that very scene and that very line when Sheridan was redoing his death right before Lorien brought him back?

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

One could even argue that this theme was first foreshadowed in "The Fall of Night."

Does Kosh leave his encounter suit without Delenn's intervention?

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It depends on what you say is Delenn's "intervention". She went to Kosh saying, "You know what's at stake", in essence sayign that whether Kosh wanted to or not he had to do something extraordinary to save Sheridan. Whether she intended for him to leave his encounter suit isn't clear. But I suppose she does intervene.

The parallel in the case with my daughter and myself was the line Delenn utters in "Messages..." and how it so neatly dovetails with "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi".

5. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^For sure. I had shivers like crazy after that scene and the payoff to that earlier line taken in a whole different context. One of my favourite scenes of the series.

6. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's in "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi" that Sheridan asks if Lorien will catch him if he falls. Also of interest is that it's the Soul Hunter in the first season who first speaks this line to Delenn when he hooks the machine up to her.