"B" movie remakes???

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RobertScorpio, Sep 29, 2008.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

This weekend I watched the awful B movie THE GIANT CLAW. It was just terrible, especially the silly puppet they used for the giant monster bird...oye!

There were a lot B scifi movies back in those days, some good, and some bad, hey they still make them today (Star Trek Nemesis). What B movies could you see them remaking in a serious way that would be 'hits'?

Rob
    Scorpio

2. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

I've been real surprised with the current rash of remakes that no one has re-done "Them!"
    CGI'ing the ants would seem to be a fairly easy task after Starship Troopers.

That said, I'd rather that they spend the money on NEW material--- there's 100,000 stories on the sci-fi shelves that still NEED to be made instead of rehashing the old stuff over and over again....

3. msbae

msbae Commodore

Like Childhood's End, perhaps?

If we have to have more remakes, I'd like to see a remake of Forbidden Planet. However, I want the original soundtrack and Robby the Robot to be used. It wouldn't be Forbidden Planet without them.

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Whoops..I had no idea I posted this in the tech section..moderator, go ahead and move this to science/fantasy forum..sorry..

Rob

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Umm...well..I could see them doing it with out Robby. Unless they really re-thought what he looked like and did...I just watched the remastered version a few months back and found him to be the weakest link..

Amazing though how that movie has 'star trek' all over it. I am not sure if GR ever mentioned this as inspiring aspects of Trek, but it sure looks like it did..

Rob
    Scorpio

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Thanks TPTB for moving this way lost thread..

Rob
    SCorpio

7. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of them have been remade already. Even as obscure a title as "Earth vs. the Spider" was apparently remade a few years ago, though I've yet to see it (and likely won't). Most of the remakes are pretty terrible ("The Blob", "Village of the Damned", "House on Haunted Hill"), some have been okay ("The Fly", "The Thing"). Though I consider the originals classic, great films, I think a remake of "The Incredible Shrinking Man", "Village of the Damned" and "The Crawling Eye" could be potentially worthwhile.

"The Incredible Shrinking Man" would just be a lot of fun with today's effects, "Village of the Damned" has a story that was held-back by being made in an era deathly afraid of certain aspects of it (the book's references to Darwinism were thrown out entirely, and the forced impregnation angle is glossed over - hell, the script wasn't even allowed to use the word "pregnant"). "The Crawling Eye" has always been a fun story, with a very interesting monster design. I also like the unusual high-mountain setting. But the effects during the finale are, at best, barely passable even for the era it was made in.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The remake of Night of the Living Dead was fairly good. Dawn of the Dead's remake was typical Hollywood by the numbers storytelling. The remake of Day sucked (both the actual remake and the Resident Evil: Extinction version).

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I still think the first NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is the best movie because it has that 'raw' feeling to it that none have been able to recapture....but the new one was okay as you say..

Rob

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

It! The Terror from Beyond Space.

Oh,wait. Alien kinda sorta already did that.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

The Giant Claw may be awful, but it's loads of fun.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's all sort of those movies on Sci-Fi Channel Saturdays, they're just too cheap to pay the remake royalties so they make their own giant animal movies.

Eight Legged Freaks was a fun throwback flick.

Well, there was The Incredible Shrinking Woman though at 27 years old I guess that's in "classic" territory itself. I see IMDB has Brett Ratner linked to an Incredible Shrinkig Man movie.

13. Orintho

Orintho Vice Admiral Admiral

Always liked 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' - it might make a good remake with a decent budget.

14. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Rumor was John Carpenter was attached to a remake 15 years or so ago, obviously never happened.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think that with a halfway decent director at the helm rather than an overambitious fertilizer salesman, you could make a pretty creepy horror movie out of Manos: The Hands of Fate.

There have been a couple recent remakes that I was surprised that I really liked-- Dawn of the Dead & Death Race.

16. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    The MASteR doES not APprOve of SUch... rEmakes.

17. The Borgified Corpse

Truth be told, I'm mostly campaigning for this because I have a certain resemblance to Torgo and am hoping to get cast.:bolian:

18. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The legs and feet?

19. The Borgified Corpse

No, actually just in the face a little bit. The beard does a lot of the work. That picture above actually, IMO, looks very similar to some of the worst pictures of me. (If I had a webcam, I'd prove it.)

20. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

a little off track, but I saw Peter Jackson's bad taste today for the first time. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in quite a whille.