Audition samples for the 12th doctor released

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Penned by Steven Moffat

Pretty cool. Shame none of this will make it on screen.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-12th-doctor-audition-scripts-51955.htm

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? It's utterly generic 11th Doctor material (try not hearing Matt Smith saying it). If that's what they're looking for we're in for another Doctor picked for Tumblr posters.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know, I could picture Tennant, McCoy, Colin Baker, and maybe Paul McGann delivering a lot of it, and if you switch it around a bit for a slower mumbling delivery Tom Baker could deliver alot of it.

Yes, the Face is specific to Smith (Or maybe Tennant as well?), but, it's not the first time a Doctor has been concerned about or being fascinated by physical characteristics after Regeneration, I don't believe. (I'm sure there's been at least a couple lines before)

Plus, I think the idea is to give them something in the vane of what they've been doing, and see what the actors do with it, and maybe even the chosen one will have been inspiring in his/her/it's interpretation to bring in some ideas to fill in between what they have planned for an arc.

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I guess it'll be the first time a companion knows what to expect from a regeneration...? Clara's already seen the other faces so she knows what's coming.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, the entire time I had to remind myself not to read that in Matt Smith's voice. But then, this is hardly indicative of what they have planned for the new Doctor, and indeed kind of fits with the other post regeneration scenes in the nu-series in which the new Doctor still has his predecessor's mannerisms. Smith seemed to be channelling Tennant in The End of Time, and Tennant was channelling Eccleston in The Parting of the Ways.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd argue that Smith was channeling Tennant as late as "The Big Bang," at least in Moffat's scripts. :)

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Quite literally. If Clara saw all points in the Doctor's timeline, she should already have seen this face.

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who reads those generics lines with Matt Smith's voice is doing so because they've been influenced by Matt Smith! Those lines are generic enough that you can read them in many different voices. It seems like they're looking for someone who can take those lines and give them their own personal flair!

Mr Awe

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I read through it a few times with various accents and mannerisms and paces and it is surprisingly flexible. It may not suit someone with a more subdued take on the character, but that is probably by design.

10. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I can hear when I read those lines is Matt Smith. Did he become 'my' Doctor when I wasn't looking? :wtf:

11. Allyn Gibson

Or they're generic because Moffat writes a generic Doctor. :)

No, that's not a criticism of Moffat. He's been honest about how he wrote Tennant the same way he wrote Eccleston, and how he wrote Smith the same way as Tennant. He sees the different incarnations of the Doctor as the same. If a line reads differently, it's because the actor brings something of himself to the line.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I've heard him say that in interviews as well. Must be great for the actors to not only be given the freedom, but encouraged, required, to give their own spin to the lines!

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes. Yes he did.

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

the dialogue does not indicate they are casting a woman..

Doctor: "What! What!"

Clara: "What's wrong?"

Doctor: "My Penis, it's gone!!"

LOL

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Thanks to a clever psychic trick the doctor is in your head now

:D

16. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno I kept hearing Christopher Walken's voice...

And then I was hearing Austin Powers...

And then inexplicably I was hearing Michael Caine...

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Or...that could be part of the gag. She-Doctor12 goes on and on about the height change and face, and it doesn't even occur to her to notice the gender change, until.... ;)

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First time out of "reflex", yeah, I heard a bit of Matt Smith.

But the second time, I rather easily conjured my "first" Doctor, Tom Baker, and the lines still worked, even the comment about the chin since Pertwee's was a tad fuller than Baker's. well, the height observation might not work since Tom was one of the tallest performers, so logically, Clara might have appeared to shrink from his POV. Unless, of course, the Baker-ish Doctor is either sitting or on his knees and is unaware of his stance.

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Allyn Gibson

Lance Parkin has a passage about height from the Doctor's perspective in The Dying Days; the eighth Doctor asks Benny if she's changed her height when they meet.

The eighth Doctor is considered one of the "tall" Doctors, but McGann isn't any taller than Sylvester McCoy. But when the BBC did some promo shots, they had McGann standing on a box to make him look taller than McCoy.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    If we were switching from Jon Pertwee to Tom Baker, there couldn't be a reference to height because they were both the same height, 6'3".

But I'm absolutely stunned to learn that McCoy & McGann are the same height. You lied to me, BBC! You lied to me!

But then, I'm constantly bamboozled by the Doctor's height. I never realized that Matt Smith was so tall until I looked up Karen Gillan's height an realized that she was 5'11"!!!! So Smith has to be really tall just to stay in the same frame as her. (So then, think about how tall that handsome friend of Amy's needed to be in "The Eleventh Hour" considering how he just towered over both Smith & Gillan.)

I don't know about that. I think, for the most part, Smith made it his own pretty early on. He did have some rather shouty moments in "Flesh & Stone" that felt very Tennant-esque but I think Smith has mostly felt like Smith the entire time. Certainly, right at the beginning in "The End of Time," Smith is reacting with an extreme level of quirkiness that totally fits Smith but is far beyond anything Tennant or Eccleston would have done.

When I first read that script, I heard it in a combination of Smith & McGann. (I've been reading some 8th Doctor novels lately, so I'm in a very McGann mode.) Trying it again with a Tennant voice or a Baker voice (either Colin or Tom) works perfectly. I can get halfway there with Troughton, McCoy, or Eccleston. But I just can't manage it at all with Pertwee or Davison. So, yes, we seem to be keeping in a fairly eccentric vein of Doctorishness. Which is how I like it anyway, so I'm glad that Moffat is continuing for a while.

Doctor: "Clara? Could you check the artificial gravity settings? I seem to be more top heavy than usual."