Poll Ashley Judd as Captain Robin Lefler on Lower Decks?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Matthew Raymond, Nov 10, 2020.

?

Should Ashley Judd guest star as Robin Lefler on Lower Decks?

1. Yes, as a Captain.

23.0%
  2. Yes, but rank doesn't matter.

52.5%
  3. No, but I'd be fine if Ashley Judd does another role on the show.

3.3%
  4. No, I don't want Ashley Judd in the show.

21.3%
  1. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been toying with the idea of Ashley Judd reprising her TNG role as Robin Lefler for Lower Decks, and I think it'd be interesting if she's an older, more experienced officer, perhaps even a seasoned Captain. What do you think?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Try the fan series Hidden Frontier.

Robin is the Shelby's chief engineer for 7 seasons.

Peter David's New Frontier has a lot of her too.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sure, why not?

4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like what they did with her in the New Frontier novels...maybe they could visit the new Tholonian Empire...

Ketrick likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You already have two older, seasoned captains in the show. Why would you need Robin Lefler?

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Matthew Raymond

I don't understand the question. It sounds like a needless limitation. The TNG episode "Conspiracy" had FOUR captains in the same scene.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too many captains spoil the soup.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  8. BillJ

Because you had a story that required Picard meet with other command officers, not so someone can fap it to fanwank.

9. fireproof78

Indeed, yes. The fan wank has to stop.

[​IMG]

phenyx2 likes this.
  10. BillJ

It is really all the franchise has left in its collective tank.

It seemed the Talosians were right all along...

11. fireproof78

No, I don't think so. But, I think that is all the fans are willing to buy at this point.

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. BillJ

I mean, you have to look at the premiere of Discovery, the franchise had about four hundred episodes (I'm thinking it is actually more) featuring Klingons during its run, not counting the movies, and the very first thing we see in this "new" version is a Klingon mumbling about honor and Sto'vo'kor.

13. fireproof78

Ok...still didn't feel like the same, and I thought it could have done a whole more. I think it has dared to touch on some themes but then shrunk back. Trek could do more than just nostalgia but it fears to do so because it gets bitten back so hard. Things like LD and fan films get praised for Gene's Vision adherence. Is there any great surprise on falling back on familiar tones?

For the record, I love the Klingons in Discovery and it felt way better than Gowon's remakrs around honor.

14. BillJ

It just comes to the point where the franchise is just living on its past glories and making no real attempt to push boundaries or make itself relevant in the here and now. The Spore Drive is a perfect example. You could go anywhere, anytime, any universe and it is simply a gateway to more fanwank.

I know it sells and is a smart business decision on CBS' part to milk the franchise for all that its worth. But that seems to be all it is. There seems to be little or no growth. The only reason Lower Decks works is because it is poking fun at these things that fans take so, so seriously with entertaining characters.

What's left for Trek when the older generations pass on and the pie of viable viewers continues to shrink because they simply have better and more creative options in viewing?

15. fireproof78

Here's my view, naive possibly, but trying optimistic. DSC may be a place to show people both sides, both the fan wank (inevitable) and possibility (Spore Drive). Fans who are newer to the franchise may be able to step in when the older generations dwindle away.

Is it a long short? Yeah, probably. But, I still some possibility.

You have a point-there is little to no growth, and Trek's relevancy is largely limited. But, in time, perhaps.

Or, not, and Trek had a good run. I'll enjoy what's coming out.

16. BillJ

I think that is the big problem, they never really gave us the possibility of the Spore Drive. It primarily served as the transporter to move us from fanwank to fanwank.

I would never suggest otherwise. People should enjoy what they enjoy. Though I do thank you for an interesting conversation that didn't have "hater" sprinkled throughout because someone disagreed with you. :techman:

trekshark likes this.
  17. fireproof78

It did. But, it's still there with possibility.
    Life is too short to hate.

Honestly, here's my thing-Trek has largely moved to even more niche than before. The variety of productions out there will only continue to expand the variety, so niche properties will continue. And it's nice to actually have that amount of variety rather than clicking through SciFi channel and hoping some times.

antinoos and BillJ like this.
  18. Matthew Raymond

Exactly where does "fan service" stop though? I mean, half of Star Trek is revisiting and elaborating on previous characters, races and story elements. If a good enough script is written, doe sit matter if the subject of the script also fulfill a desire from fans to see a particular again?

dupersuper likes this.
  19. fireproof78

Yes and no. It can have the effect of basically saying that Trek is only for the fans, and create a very small universe syndrome.

I think if it is a good enough script then it should be able to stand on its own. And I think Trek needs to do something new.

BillJ likes this.
  20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a bit confused by this, has the actress expressed any desire to be on LD?
    Why would there be a reason for this random character who appeared in all of one episode or this particular actress to show up/voice someone on LD?

I'd much rather see Captain Ramsey again.

BillJ likes this.