Articles of the Federation...10 Year Old

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Emissary of the Prophets, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Emissary of the Prophets

Emissary of the Prophets Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have just finished reading AOTF for the seventh time since it was published. An amazing read. Nan Bacco is one of the most important original to Star Trek Lit.

I fell massively out of love with Trek Lit in the late '90s. It was repetitive and it seemed like the 5 year mission had lasted 20. Then, I chanced upon Diplomatic Implausibility. Wow! I was back on the horse. Trek Lit was a whole new world and has moved on and, until it was wiped from Star Wars continuity, was starting to build up like the SW: EU. Relaunches, reimaginings and original to prose series abound it was taking a new direction.
    If it wasn't for KRAD, I doubt I would have come back. It is quite sad that he does not seem to be writing Trek novels anymore. Who else could write Klingons like him...apart from Ronald D. Moore?
    Am I the only one missing his voice in Trek Lit?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Nope. KRAD knows the Klingons better than almost anyone.

--Sran

3. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

For what it's worth, it's not that KRAD doesn't want to - he's said multiple times before that he'd love to write more and his Klingon Art of War did come out just last year. It's editorial's decision that's had him out of Treklit lately, not his.

Edit: Whoops wrong about the publisher.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I didn't realize that book wasn't published by Pocket Books. I hope the powers that be aren't using it as an excuse to deny him opportunities to write for them.

--Sran

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Wait, double-checking and I was wrong about that, it was Pocket Books. My mistake there, just assumed since I thought Pocket had been out of the Trek in-universe reference game.

But that just makes it even stranger to me that they don't want him in Treklit, then.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Even if they're both from S&S, I suspect they have different editors.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We need an Articles of tge Federation II. New president, new book.

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Klingon Art of War was published by Pocket, but was put together by an external packager (becker&mayer!) and a different editorial team.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one TrekLit I desperatly need, and can't find here in the Netherlands anymore. :(

10. Emissary of the Prophets

Emissary of the Prophets Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know it's beyond KRAD's power to influence the editors, but I would like to see him back on the cover of a Trek novel.
    Articles, while garnering some excellent reviews, only had a limited print run. That makes it hard to find. Sad really, it is such an excellent book. A real breath of fresh air compared to the usual starship based books.

11. Defcon

I know it's not what you meant, but...;)

[​IMG]

But seriously, his return to TrekLit proper is way, way overdue. :scream:

T'Ressa Dax likes this.
  12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon UK have it (Both paperback through the marketplace) or Kindle.

Back when I got it, I had to get it imported but it was well worh it. I've now also bought it on Kindle.

13. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Who is the current editor of Treklit?

14. Defcon

If nothing has changed the editor responsible at Pocket Books is Ed Schlesinger, but the main body of work (including hiring the authors if I'm not mistaken) is done by Margaret Clark on a freelance basis.

15. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

I do miss KRAD novels. Always had me hooked when I would read his books. And his Klingon series was exceptional.

16. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree also. My favourite Trek books have been written by KRAD.

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

It really is mystifying that he hasn't been invited back. Haven't his books typically been strong sellers? (I know that Articles... itself did not sell well, more's the pity.)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the thing that's always baffled me too. I'll admit, my only exposure to other Trek Lit readers is here, but I was always under the impression that his books were very popular, so it seems weird to me that the editors wouldn't want to work with him.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got this book last year for Christmas and really thought it was a well written novel. I Nan Bacco it certainly was interesting to see the behind the scenes story of her first year as being President for the United Federation of Planets.I wish Keith would be invited back to write some new Star trek books.

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I thank Kahless the Unforgettable for KRAD!