Art For Sonic Screwdriver Android App

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WRStone, Apr 28, 2010.

1. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After literally years lurking in this forum and having absolutely nothing to offer but kudos (due to my admitted lack of talent and inspiration), I finally have something original to show off.

The deal is that I'm providing some ideas and art to an Android app developer who's writing a Sonic Screwdriver application. That in mind, here is the first in a series of WIPs for this project.

It's not strictly Trek-related, though if you bear with me, I'll try to convince the dev to include Gary Seven's Servo or Scotty's Magnetic Wrench in future revisions as easter eggs.

These were "traced" over high-res bitmapped images using OpenOffice.org Draw to create vector versions. Then each page in the drawing was exported to JPG. When I get a few minutes, I'm going to cut-and-paste them from Draw to the Gimp to save them as higher resolution and with a white rather than gray background.

As I say, WIP.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Know if there is any way to make it strobe the light and/or vibrate the phone? Those would be nice effects. Useless (and limited in entertainment) as it is, I hope they're planning for a low/free price point.

3. WRStone

Not sure about the vibration -- I'm generally against vibration because it eats the battery so badly. Vibration is great where it's appropriate ... it's probably just not appropriate for something this frivolous.

The intent is to allow the user to choose a model by horizontal swipes. A swipe up/down will extend/retract it (if applicable). Press and hold to emit a sound/light, release to stop. They have some other things in mind, as well.

And yes, the intent is that the price be totally reasonable. It's not set, but I'd guess around US$1.

4. WRStone

Burst of activity last night/this morning ... completely outlined the Mark V/IV, need to repaint the V to make a VI, then I'll probably tackle the Laser Screwdriver outline. The Mark VII screwdriver (the current one) is going to be a real frakload of fun. It makes for a cool toy, but diagramming in 2D so that you can produce a bitmap is kind of painful ...

Anyway, here's current:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

I like those. This may be out of left field, (as my ideas usually are) but, going for another trek relationship, that retracted MK V design would make a neat nacelle shape:). Perhaps for a shuttle, or an older ship...

6. WRStone

Well, I think it's fair use to kitbash with the pieces if you like. Admittedly, these are based off others' designs (the Mark II first debuted in an Anderson Thunderbirds Supermarionation movie!); but all the tracing from source photos and/or publicly-available diagrams is mine.

And I'd hardly put this stuff up on the Internet if I didn't expect it to be redistributed. I mean seriously, copyright or no, if you've got something in public, some bright cookie will at least get ideas from it.

Well, hopefully, anyway ...

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, kitbash to your heart's content. :bolian:

And actually, after doing that rather nasty Mark V, I think I may do Gary Seven's Servo next. That was just a couple of machine-tooled aluminum parts and shouldn't take long. There's some great source pictures of a couple of faithful reproductions, too.

Yeah, the Servo, then the Magnetic Wrench, then back to the tough Doctor Who stuff. The thread'll be more Trek-ish shortly. :vulcan:

7. WRStone

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very cool Sonic Screw Drivers :) :techman:

I know some Doctor Who fans that will love these :) :techman:

9. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There's already a Sonic Screwdriver App for Android. I installed it last night.

11. WRStone

Yep, that's the dev I'm working with. I'm supplying the art and he's making it all shiny as an app.

12. WRStone

Yes, both. Also the Master's Laser Screwdriver and a Dalek blaster arm.

Thing is, I spent a fair chunk of last night working my way up from Mark I to V/VI. While some of this was stuff I'd worked on off and on before, that Mark V kind of drained my mouse hand.

So I stopped off with a finished Mark V and did Gary Seven's Servo before getting into the tough ones, which are the Mark VII and Mark ? (River Song's).

I'm probably also going to do Scotty's Magnetic Wrench before I go back to Models VII/? too. I don't want to think about the work involved in any of those last three ... :vulcan:

13. WRStone

Another update, mostly behind the scenes.

I updated and parted out the Marks I through V, then finished off the Servo and Magnetic Wrench. I also isolated and tweaked the activation and firing sound effects for the Servo for use in the app.

Gary Seven's Servo and Scotty's Magnetic Wrench look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What you're not seeing is that this is a GIF output of a layered GIMP drawing. The mobile and immobile parts are duplicated as layers for the app developer, so that he can easily code extension and retraction.

These were actually traced as OpenOffice.org vector drawings -- I'm a bit perturbed that the Android doesn't know native SVG, as that would make this considerably prettier ... perhaps a future version?

(The same is true of all the previous images posted -- they look identical but have been reduced to mobile versus immobile parts for the dev.)

This is the Servo Activation Sound Effect.

This is the Servo Zap Sound Effect.

This is the Magnetic Wrench Sound Effect.

And, of course, this is the Sonic Screwdriver Sound Effect.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010