ARRRRRRRRRGH! (job-related)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Plecostomus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

I was informed this evening that due to the fear that sales will decline over the next year Management has decided to eliminate the highest payed positions on or before January 15th 2009 in order to assist in building a cash reserve over the winter.

This includes MY job as commissioned sales-clerk. Oh I can stay on after January 15th but I get cut to 15 hours a week at minimum wage.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH. :rolleyes:

Well I haven't been here long enough to get attached to the position at least.

I am seriously considering taking a shit in one of the wood-stove displays, one of the glass-door-fronted models, right before I leave.

...naah :)

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

That really sucks. At least you'll have a little income while you're trying to find something else.

3. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

SWMBO suggests I give up on finding "a job" for the time being and try growing my business instead. Between the savings we have socked away and her job which isn't going anywhere it just might be possible. Her job is to come up with reasons to deny insurance claims, which is a step up from verifying that the computer came up with the right answer after being fed double-checked data. Can you tell I really don't understand what she does? :D

We'll see, I have a couple favors to call in yet at various possible employers I want to see how those pan out before I do anything drastic like become a stay-home house-husband. :p

It's just frustrating when companies hire people just to turn around to lay them off a few weeks later. WHY did they hire me in the first place I have to wonder.

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Maybe they were just looking for seasonal help along and weren't really upfront with you about it.

5. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

Man that sucks. It could be worse, you could be having to get unemployment benefits like I'm having to do.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

^or like me, with no benefits at all.

7. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

This was my first thought as well. Sorry that this happened.

8. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Yeah, this wouldn't be the first time.

9. Sheliak

Sheliak Commodore Commodore

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

10. apostle83

apostle83 Admiral Admiral

Cutting commission sales people is stupid - you pay your own salary. Cutting comissioned sales people was the death knoll for circuit city. Then, they fired their most experienced sales people. That was the shotgun blast to the zombie.

11. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

This was my argument, but apparently the 5% I make on epach and every sale is a "serious drain" on "cash reserves" that they "anticiate needing for the coming year."

The store I'm working at is more corporate than the last one, they were a family-operated store, this is a regional chain with five stores.

Frankly I don't care either way, I'm a tradesman so losing a retail job really doesn't phase me. I took the job as a respite from non-stop tradework and to rest, I am dealing with the aftermath of a mental-illness... one that doesn't really affect my job performance... one the company doesn't know about and frankly even if they DID know it wouldn't matter because as I said it doesn't affect my job one whit.

My beef come from the whole "hired so we can fire" vibe I'm getting.

I represent the stove and power equipment section, my counterpart represents appliances and home goods, a third represents general hardware and the last guy is a sort of floater who takes over when one of us is busy making a sale.

Me and my counterpart were hired from the other store that closed. Both of our positions are being eliminated to build cash reserves while the other two positions are being retained because they are hourly and they make minimum wage. They are also the Manager's son and the owner's nephew respectively.

My counterpart speculates we were hired 1) to give the customers from the other store (the one that shut down) a "friendly face" so this store/chain would absorb the customer base and 2) we were hired so local management has someone to "cut" so the family-members/chosen ones aren't.

As I said before this isn't the first time I've gone through this. Factories have hired me in the past just to work through a production backlog then fired me the day after. Its the nature of the economy up here. There really isn't any real "permanent" employment left in New York.

*shrug* I've got plans beyond January 15th so I'm going to continue to show up every day and milk this for every penny I can get.

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you considered getting an Unemployed Friend with Benefits?

13. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Collected Unemployment for a few weeks, then I took the job at the first hardware store. *shrug* I'm the sort who can't sit around and do nothing, I have to keep busy.